Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Oscars 2013

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Oscars 2013

Post by rebecca » Tue February 26th, 2013, 12:45 am

I actually enjoyed the Oscars this year, although some of the hosts jokes were a bit blah. The woman who stole the show was Shirley Bassey..WOW! What a voice! I also thought Adele sang well, even though at times the orchestra seemed to drown out her voice, but Jennfier Hudson shrieked her song IMO....But when I saw Jennifer Lawrence's gown, my immediate thought was if that girl wins she won't be able to make it up those steps without falling :eek: and she did, but she recovered well. I haven't seen any of the nominated movies as yet but Argo is due out this week.

So for those who have seen the movies did they deserve the Oscar nod or was someone robbed?

I thought last year it should've been a tie between Meryl and Michelle.

Bec :) PS: I was hoping Hugh might win..but oh well.... :rolleyes:

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue February 26th, 2013, 1:07 am

I watched it, sorta. Im not a huge fan of celebrities patting themselves on the back.

Hugh is amazing though, and I loved how he tried to help the chick who fell. He's a class act and super freaking HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p YUM!!!!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue February 26th, 2013, 3:21 am

[quote=""Divia""]I watched it, sorta. Im not a huge fan of celebrities patting themselves on the back.

Hugh is amazing though, and I loved how he tried to help the chick who fell. He's a class act and super freaking HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p YUM!!!![/quote]

I've watched the Oscars since I was a kid many moons ago :p as for Hugh I didn't know it was him who rushed to help Jennifer...He is so nice and a really genuine guy. I sometimes wonder if his mother ever regrets abandoning him?

Bec :) Too bad he didn't win.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue February 26th, 2013, 4:00 am

I've been lucky enough this year to have seen many of the nominees and winners, so I enjoyed revisiting them via the Oscars ceremony. Daniel Day-Lewis's acceptance speech was exceptionally good, I thought. Generous, graceful and actually interesting to listen to all the way through! And he turned in a fine performance in "Lincoln" - I thought his Oscar was well deserved.

Several of this year's notable movies were historical - Lincoln, Les Misérables, and Django Unchained. It's great that we are getting some really good historical movies!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue February 26th, 2013, 7:18 am

Did the Hobbit win anything? I thought should have gotten Best Hairstyling and Makeup.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue February 26th, 2013, 10:44 am

[QUOTE=Divia;108987]I watched it, sorta. Im not a huge fan of celebrities patting themselves on the back.

Hugh is amazing though, and I loved how he tried to help the chick who fell. He's a class act and super freaking HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p YUM!!!![/QUOTE]

He is, what's not to like, the perfect man ;) And he can sing as well.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu February 28th, 2013, 4:51 am

I was just so glad that Anne won, but that dress she wore was very unfortunate choice, especially in chest area. I was also very happy about "Argo" and that Ben got an Oscar since the Academy in it's ultimate "wisdom" didn't have him in the directing category! Yes, he might not have won the Oscar in that cat. but he wasn't even given a chance!

And HUGH what a gentleman!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu February 28th, 2013, 9:37 am

Yes that dress, must have been cold....

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu February 28th, 2013, 5:39 pm

I've seen all but Life of Pi of the nominated movies and there were so many good performances that it truly was difficult to choose. I thought it interesting that the top six awards (best movie, director, lead actor/actress, supporting actor/actress) went to representatives of six different movies. I'm not sure that's happened before, but not going to take the time to look it up!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu February 28th, 2013, 7:47 pm

It's happened in the last few years - they tend to share out the awards now, unlike back in the early 90s when "Silence of the Lambs" won most of the big five awards. So everyone goes home with something!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”