Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Outlander to be adapted for cable TV

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Tue June 11th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Oh no - cue some atrocious Scottish accents *cringe*.

I'm not a fan of this series of books - far too stereotypical for my liking. And the most annoying thing to me is that Jamie from the Highlands (whose first language would've been Gaelic) speaks English with what appears to be a modern-day Glaswegian accent!!! I struggled through maybe 4 of these books in the hopes of seeing what all the fuss was about - but couldn't. I'm ranting now but Clare fits the bill for being one of those stereotypical women mentioned on another thread who doesn't lose her looks or figure no matter her age. Nope, i definitely won't be watching :eek: :D
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed June 12th, 2013, 2:37 am

[quote=""princess""]Oh no - cue some atrocious Scottish accents *cringe*.

I'm not a fan of this series of books - far too stereotypical for my liking. And the most annoying thing to me is that Jamie from the Highlands (whose first language would've been Gaelic) speaks English with what appears to be a modern-day Glaswegian accent!!! I struggled through maybe 4 of these books in the hopes of seeing what all the fuss was about - but couldn't. I'm ranting now but Clare fits the bill for being one of those stereotypical women mentioned on another thread who doesn't lose her looks or figure no matter her age. Nope, i definitely won't be watching :eek: :D [/quote]

I didn't get past the first book and still don't know what the fuss is either...Perhaps it will make better viewing than reading? I'll have to wait and see.....

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Wed June 12th, 2013, 3:17 am

Oh, I'm excited about this. I just finished An Echo in the Bone (book 7) & looking forward to the release of Written in My Own Heart's Blood due out this year. I think Diana Gabaldon has done great research for these books. Actually, I like the Lord John Grey spin-off series maybe even better, as some of the middle books of the Outlander series lost my interest for awhile; they are just so long. But lot's happening in AEITB, & many characters converging. Anyway, I am a Gabaldon fan & am looking forward to the Starzz series. Now I just have to see if I have Starzz.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed June 12th, 2013, 3:17 pm

[quote=""princess""]I'm not a fan of this series of books - far too stereotypical for my liking.... I struggled through maybe 4 of these books in the hopes of seeing what all the fuss was about - but couldn't. I'm ranting now but Clare fits the bill for being one of those stereotypical women mentioned on another thread who doesn't lose her looks or figure no matter her age. [/quote]

I really liked the first two, but struggled with the third and fourth before giving up. I think the series ran its course several books back, but the fans (and publishers) demand more. Poor Sir Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock to get out of writing more stories and had to bring him back because of the outrage of fans. As long as fans demand and Gabaldon consents, there will be more Outlander books. BTW, I agree about Claire--she's in her fifties with no hormone treatments, botox, or "lifts"--she should be burned at the stake for being a witch!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed June 12th, 2013, 6:18 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]I really liked the first two, but struggled with the third and fourth before giving up. I think the series ran its course several books back, but the fans (and publishers) demand more. Poor Sir Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock to get out of writing more stories and had to bring him back because of the outrage of fans. As long as fans demand and Gabaldon consents, there will be more Outlander books. BTW, I agree about Claire--she's in her fifties with no hormone treatments, botox, or "lifts"--she should be burned at the stake for being a witch![/quote]

I loved these books when I first read them about five years ago, just gobbled them up. Until Echo came out - what a disappointment.

I suspect I wouldn't be so enamored on a reread. Gabaldon does prattle on too long and she does need an editor IMHO. For a while I was following her blog, but she prattled on so much with useless stuff there, I had to stop. Why fill up five pages, when it can be said in one paragraph?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Wed June 12th, 2013, 9:01 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Why fill up five pages, when it can be said in one paragraph?[/quote]

Yes, it's nice to get a sense of time and place but she does go OTT!!!
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 9th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Looks like they've found their Jamie Fraser - Sam Heughan. Alarming blue eyes but I think he fits the bill. At least he is actually Scottish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "THe Scandal" by Mari Hannah
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed July 10th, 2013, 8:27 am

Yes he is Scottish and also has the height! There's always contact lenses for his eyes. I must admit I found it difficult to picture anyone as Jamie, and it's good they've gone for a relatively unknown actor. I wonder who they'll get for Black Jack?
Currently reading "The Scandal" by Mari Hannah

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed July 10th, 2013, 9:13 am

And here he is photoshopped. I thought Jamie did have blue eyes? Or were they green?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "THe Scandal" by Mari Hannah
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed July 10th, 2013, 9:28 am

I think they're green (and cat-like!). He looks a little scary....
Currently reading "The Scandal" by Mari Hannah

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”