Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Intelligent movies

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon May 7th, 2012, 12:00 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]Hmmm this is a difficult one because it is down to your own personal taste. I enjoyed Batman the Dark Knight(with Heath Ledger)I have not seen the newest Batman. Here are some movies and mini-seriels that I liked.

The Lion in Winter

To Kill a Mockingbird

Babette's Feast

Mrs Doubtfire(it's one of the funniest movies I have seen)

House of Cards and its sequels.[/quote]

I loved To Kill a Mockingbird and Babette's Feast, although I haven't seen either of them for years.

I hated Mrs Doubtfire, just as I hated Tootsie - there's something about men pretending to be women that doesn't to it for me. I seem to be in a minority over that one.

I loved Ian Richardson when he was alive and also political conspiracies but I also hated House of Cards, even the improved revenger-tragedy-style TV version. Even the guy who wrote the screenplay for it agreed that the books weren't very good.

I also really enjoyed A Lion in Winter but, again, I haven't seen it in years although it was given away free by a Sunday newspaper a few years ago. I picked up a spare copy from the Newsagent because I absolutely will not buy that newspaper even to get a free DVD.

I generally don't like war films but I thought Apocalyse Now was one of the best film renditions of a book I have ever seen despite finding the book a difficult, if short, read. Difficult or not, it is still worth a read.

I also really really loved Shakespeare in Love. Some people don't, I know but I thought the screenplay was very very clever and I thought Joseph Fiennes was wonderful in it. It's a shame he hasn't done anything much of note since. I regret not being able get to see him in Marlow's Edward II but it didn't make it down south. I found Gwynneth a little stilted in SiL - but again, I am probably in a minority in that one.

I saw A Man for All Seasons at school too, although they took us to the cinema to see it and I enjoyed it. I used to have it on video but gave it away to someone who wanted it more than I did.

I have Atonement on DVD but haven't yet watched it. That's probably because I just don't get time to sit down and watch TV for films anymore so I have lost the need to do so.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue May 8th, 2012, 3:48 am

Justin Swanton: State of Play

SGM: Shakespeare in Love

I think it is all a matter of personal taste...I hated Shakespeare in love and I wondered how on earth did Gwyneth and Judy win Oscars for it? Though I love Judi Dench, she was only in it for what...5 minutes :p . But I agree with The Lion in Winter, it is a brilliant movie and one I can watch at least once a year.

When it comes to State of Play I prefer the British version with John Simm and David Morrissey.

Another movie which I forgot to mention was 'Dead Poet's Society' I loved that movie.

Bec :)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”