Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Call the Midwife

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Call the Midwife

Post by rebecca » Wed March 28th, 2012, 1:17 am

I just finished watching 'Call the Midwife' and I have to say it is one of the best drama's I have seen in quite a while. It is a mixture of humour and pathos which is handled so well that at one minute you're laughing and the next minute you have tears in your eyes. There were a couple of episodes where I did reach for the tissue box, because the storylines was so moving, without being gimmicky.

I also loved the gritty earthiness of the East end wives and how they coped in a time where going to the hospital was almost unheard of and there was no contraception.

I also loved the involvement of the nuns, who added a compassionate look at the human condition, whilst keeping their feet firmly on the ground.

If you haven't seen it yet then I highly recommend it. It is a gem.

Bec :) PS: For some reason there is this notification: We are not able to dispatch this item to your default delivery address.
Thank goodness I pre-ordered it from Amazon U.K.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed March 28th, 2012, 1:42 am

rebecca; wrote:
Bec :) PS: For some reason there is this notification: We are not able to dispatch this item to your default delivery address.
Thank goodness I pre-ordered it from Amazon U.K.

It really annoys me that this still happens in this day of technology. if I am not able to buy.....then I am not going to feel guilty if I download it.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu March 29th, 2012, 12:19 am

[quote=""Amanda""]It really annoys me that this still happens in this day of technology. if I am not able to buy.....then I am not going to feel guilty if I download it.[/quote]

I don't blame you Amanda I find it incredibly frustrating too! As I once said when I phoned Amazon we don't live in outer Mongolia and nor do the postal workers have to climb Mt Everest...So why does it take nearly 2 months for a book to arrive on my doorstep! :rolleyes: go figure!

I'm just glad I pre-ordered it as I have with Titanic.

Good luck to you.

Bec :)

:Sarita:
Reader

Post by :Sarita: » Sun March 10th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Has anyone else been watching the latest series?

I fell in love with the first series, it was so beautiful and so moving, and it touched upon a time period and an aspect of life that I'm thoroughly interested in. I read the books after I'd seen it and they were even more wonderful, as you'd expect. Some of the stories are so heartbreaking, yet inspiring. I'd heartily recommend them :) Rebecca, I think you described the stories and their effect just perfectly!
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

[Albert Camus]

MyTumblr
MyTwitter

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon March 11th, 2013, 1:15 am

[quote=""sarasarita!""]Has anyone else been watching the latest series?

I fell in love with the first series, it was so beautiful and so moving, and it touched upon a time period and an aspect of life that I'm thoroughly interested in. I read the books after I'd seen it and they were even more wonderful, as you'd expect. Some of the stories are so heartbreaking, yet inspiring. I'd heartily recommend them :) Rebecca, I think you described the stories and their effect just perfectly![/quote]

Thank you Sarasarita. :) I just looked at EZY DVD and found out it is being released here(Australia)in May. I shall be buying it! Love the show!

Becca :)

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon April 1st, 2013, 1:43 am

I am now watching the second season of 'Call the Midwife' and find it just as enjoyable...It's a mixture of humour and pathos without becoming too sentimental. What a tough life it was back then, it helps one to appreciate what we have now.

Bec :) For Aussies it is shown on Channel 2 on Sundays 8:30

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon April 1st, 2013, 3:52 am

We ordered seasons 1 and 2 from netflix and have been enjoying the show immensely. My friend recommends the book, so maybe I'' suggest it for my book group.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue April 2nd, 2013, 1:37 am

[quote=""MLE""]We ordered seasons 1 and 2 from netflix and have been enjoying the show immensely. My friend recommends the book, so maybe I'' suggest it for my book group.[/quote]

The show is so good that I will buy the book it is based on and I think it would make great reading for a book group and perhaps make everyone appreciate what we have these days. Those ladies were certainly tough. I do wonder how much the book will differ from the TV show? I'll soon find out when I buy it next week when I go shopping again.

Bec :)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”