Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anonymous (Again)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat November 5th, 2011, 4:19 pm

I don't like Shakespear so I could careless if he wrote the books or not. Or plays or whateve ryou want to call them.

Its funny that people get all upset about this type of historical inaccuracy(if it is one) but yet they are perfectly fine with others in movies.

Where is the outcry then? Either be consistent or shut it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun November 6th, 2011, 3:08 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]Thanks Wendy!!!!! I'm definitely adding it to my list of places to visit when I return to the UK. :D :D :D Now we just need one here in the US. LOL[/quote]

We do! Check out the link!

http://www.americanshakespearecenter.com/

I've been there several times and it is amazing! Thankfully it is indoors, but otherwise it is an exact replica of the one in England (I've seen both!)
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun November 6th, 2011, 8:32 pm

I enjoyed Shakespeare in Love but was also a bit bemused at GP's Oscar. I also enjoyed Elizabeth but was bored stiff by The Golden Age - all that build up to the Spanish Armada and then it all seemed to be over in about 5 minutes!

I thought the TV drama with Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons was superb, they were fab together. I didn't see the other series though, I think that focussed more on her early life.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue November 8th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Its funny that people get all upset about this type of historical inaccuracy(if it is one) but yet they are perfectly fine with others in movies. Where is the outcry then? Either be consistent or shut it.
I know; I suspect its when a certain theme pushes someone's button. I am not as much concerned about what happens in Amadeus because I don't know the history, I just know I love the music. But don't get me started on Braveheart....
Again, its just a shame people get their history from entertainment. If they were taught history, they might at least see the change as an interesting take on the facts, rather than the facts themselves. But so many people have no idea, and just absorb it all as real.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri November 11th, 2011, 2:18 am

Divia--"I don't like Shakespear so I could careless if he wrote the books or not.."
I remember having to study Shakespeare at school and I absolutely hated it! I have not read another Shakespeare since then and don't intend too! Hurrah! Finally someone else doesn't like him lol. :p

Madeleine--I thought the TV drama with Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons was superb, they were fab together..."

I agree but then again Helen is such a brilliant actor as is Jeremy Irons and they simply clicked together...There was great chemistry between them.

I have also heard that America is making its own version of Prime Suspect, I doubt anyone can do better than Mirren as Jane Tennison.

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri November 11th, 2011, 9:56 am

I agree with you (and Divia) on the Shakespeare, and with you on the Mirren/Irons double act - the chemistry was great and I'd love to see them work together again, they were very believable. And I also agree about HM in Prime Suspect; the only one who might be able to pull off that role might be Glenn Close, I loved her in Damages.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri November 11th, 2011, 5:24 pm

I would tend to agree about Glen Close but could she do the vulnerable as well as the strong JT. Probably/possibly.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon November 14th, 2011, 11:38 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I agree with you (and Divia) on the Shakespeare, and with you on the Mirren/Irons double act - the chemistry was great and I'd love to see them work together again, they were very believable. And I also agree about HM in Prime Suspect; the only one who might be able to pull off that role might be Glenn Close, I loved her in Damages.[/quote]

Oh I loved 'Damages' wasn't it a brilliant series? There were so many twists and turns that you really didn't figure out the ending until the end and Glenn Close was maginficent. I also agree that she could play Tennison but unfortunately it has gone to another actress. It wont have the same gritty atmosphere of the original..I probably wont watch it.

LoveHistory--yes it is Anne-Marie Duff...I am a terror with names..I think she is married to James McAvoy...lucky lady. :D

Bec

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 15th, 2011, 10:24 am

[quote=""rebecca""]Oh I loved 'Damages' wasn't it a brilliant series? There were so many twists and turns that you really didn't figure out the ending until the end and Glenn Close was maginficent. I also agree that she could play Tennison but unfortunately it has gone to another actress. It wont have the same gritty atmosphere of the original..I probably wont watch it.

LoveHistory--yes it is Anne-Marie Duff...I am a terror with names..I think she is married to James McAvoy...lucky lady. :D

Bec[/quote]

Just hopped over to imdb to see who they cast - Maria Bello. I remember her from ER and a couple of movies; she's not a bad actress IIRC but a bit different from HM - long blonde hair and the pose on the publicity still isn't quite the same! Still it sounds as if it's worth a look, nice to see Aidan Quinn there too.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri December 16th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Exhibit A in the "If it's on a big screen, it must be true," category:

http://www.areawidenews.com/blogs/imnot ... try/45255/
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”