Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat January 26th, 2013, 2:01 pm

for anyone who's in the UK and doesn't have Sky, a freeview channel called Pick is showing the first series on Thursdays. I watched it this week and got sucked in all over again!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu March 21st, 2013, 10:40 am

Did anyone in the UK watch the Jonathan Ross Show the other day? He had three members of cast from the Game of Thrones on - Charles Dance, Rose Leslie and Kit Harrington. He seemed quite surprised by Rose Leslie's posh accent (she plays Ygritte). She's from Aberdeen, is the daughter of a Scottish Chieftain and was brought up in a stately home. No hint of a Scottish accent.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu March 21st, 2013, 11:04 am

yes I saw the Jonathan Ross show, I thought it was a bit of a shame that the GofT folks were sort of crammed in at the end! She was very "posh" wasn't she? There are a lot of pics of the cast on imdb, from the new series' premier party, Emilia Clarke (who plays Dany) is totally unrecognisable.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri March 22nd, 2013, 12:55 am

I don't know why but once again Australia is going to be one week behind the rest of the world when GOT goes to air. While most will be seeing in in March, the first episode here is on April 1st. Weird! But still can't wait :D

Bec :) PS I didn't see the Jonathon Ross show but will try Youtube

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 22nd, 2013, 9:27 am

It doesn't start in the US til 31st March, then 1st April in the UK.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sat March 23rd, 2013, 5:42 pm

The man can't finish the series he is writing in a decent timeframe, but he can come up with prequels?

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2013/ ... artin?lite
Brenna

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun March 24th, 2013, 12:51 am

And doing other writing projects!

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun March 24th, 2013, 3:38 am

This is where I get annoyed with him and his tendency to do anything other than write the sequels which seems to take him ten years or more....He will have to hurry because in the books the main characters don't really age except by a few months...The child actors are not going to stay children forever, in real life they grow up!

GRRM needs to stop introducing new characters and simply finish the dang books!

As for GOT 3 can't wait :D the trailers look good...But....A caveat I hope this time the gore and explicit sex scenes are diluted, the show is so good that it doesn't need such graphic displays which to be frank has me closing my eyes(I hate blood) or rolling my eyes in boredom....I think in the end it is the relationship and the dialogue that interests me, for instance I love the play of words between Tyrion and Bronne(sp?) they can be funny! And at times chilling...Bronne would pause(when told to kill)only if the price was right(to paraphrase).

Bec :) PS: And at least Dany is not wandering out in the desert...I remember last year whenever her scenes were on I'd start singing..."I was born under a wandering star la la la..." and yes my voice is also THAT bad! LOL :p :p :D

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun March 24th, 2013, 12:28 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]And at least Dany is not wandering out in the desert...I remember last year whenever her scenes were on I'd start singing..."I was born under a wandering star la la la..." and yes my voice is also THAT bad! LOL :p :p :D [/quote]

I don't comment on Game of Thrones books because I can't recall what happened in what book and I don't want to be a spoiler. However, I will say that the Dany story became a bit boring for me starting with the desert wandering. I don't get HBO, so I can't watch the show. I have seen series 1 when we got HBO for free during a promotion. Maybe I'll get series 2 out of the library this summer (when school is out.)
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon March 25th, 2013, 2:21 am

[quote=""Susan""]I don't comment on Game of Thrones books because I can't recall what happened in what book and I don't want to be a spoiler. However, I will say that the Dany story became a bit boring for me starting with the desert wandering. I don't get HBO, so I can't watch the show. I have seen series 1 when we got HBO for free during a promotion. Maybe I'll get series 2 out of the library this summer (when school is out.)[/quote]

Her scenes last season were terribly boring as they wandered the desert landscape, but also I think the producers deviated away from the books in that her dragon's were stolen...I don't think that was in the books.

But like you I tend to get confused in what was in what book and the amount of characters and ever new characters...it becomes a brain drain.

Bec :)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”