Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Downton Abbey

Telynor
Bibliophile

Downton Abbey

Post by Telynor » Sun January 16th, 2011, 11:22 pm

I'm sure that someone has come up with this thread somewhere. But is anyone else watching Downton Abbey on PBS? (I cheated slightly, bought the DVD and have been watching it over the weekend, and I am well and truly hooked).

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon January 17th, 2011, 12:35 am

Saw the 1st installment last week! :)
The extras are fun reading!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon January 17th, 2011, 12:53 am

I am watching it. DVRing episode 2 tonight and I'll watch it later this week.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon January 17th, 2011, 1:14 am

I am enjoying it and looking forward to watching the second installment in 46 minutes.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon January 17th, 2011, 4:19 am

From what I have heard, there is about an hour cut out of the American release, so I am very curious about what didn't make the cut. If you get the current DVD that is out, you get the missing bits, and two extra suppliments on the making of the series, and a little bit about the location.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon January 17th, 2011, 7:54 am

I loved the series and can't wait for the next season!

Loved the little comments about too many cars in the town (3) and the new telephone! And the run ins between Lady Grantham and Matthew's mother were wonderful!

Wondering what got cut out of the US version too......

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon January 17th, 2011, 9:34 am

I loved the series when it was shown in the UK and am looking forward to the next to be shown later this year. Maggie Smith is brilliant and the whole show has a humorous side to it.

I recorded Upstairs Downstairs from when it was shown over Christmas. I watched it last week and although I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was quite as good as DA. It's a similar sort of programme.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon January 17th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Im loving it! Haven't watched last nights episode yet, will probably watch it tonight.

Oh US/DS is classic - tho honestly am not sure if it holds up well. ITs been ages since Ive seen it, may need to again.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon January 17th, 2011, 4:48 pm

The US/DS which I recorded and watched recently is a new three part series. Rose, who was a maid, is still in it but she's now the housekeeper. I don't know whether they will be making any more.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon January 17th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Oh, see, I thought you were referring to the original series from the 80s (I think?)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”