Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Historical" Movies

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

"Historical" Movies

Post by Rowan » Mon September 8th, 2008, 3:11 pm

I put the quotations there because we all know how Hollywood loves to take liberties with their version of history. So, aside from the Tudors mini-series, I thought I'd start a thread about other "historical" movies.

I got Mrs Brown from NetFlix today via a friend. Has anyone seen this? Opinions?

I like Dame Judi Dench as an actress so I will probably watch it irrespective of the historical accuracy of the film. Still, I'd like to know whether it is or isn't accurate.
Last edited by Rowan on Mon September 8th, 2008, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correcting m'self.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon September 8th, 2008, 4:39 pm

It seems that historical movies are coming back into vogue, although I cringed when I heard of the plot for 'Kingdom of Heaven' and looked up the real figures on whom it was based. The upshot was that I did not go see it, altho I will probably see it on DVD sooner or later.
During the 50s and 60s historical epics were quite popular. They probably weren't any more accurate, but back then I didn't have google to check them out!
One of my favorites was a Charlton Heston film set in Sudan, I can't remember the name, where some Islamic jihadist tried to take over a city. (why can't I remember the name? It was the same as the city, I think.)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon September 8th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Love IMDB:
Khartoum (1966)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060588/

Is that it?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon September 8th, 2008, 5:00 pm

That's it! Thanks. And Heston played General Gordon, who really did engage in this conflict. Set in Victorian times.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 8th, 2008, 5:54 pm

My favorite is 1958 movie "The Vikings" starring Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas, and with Ernest Borgnine as the wild-eyed King Ragnar. A high-action barbarian epic classic.
It was based on a book called "The Viking" by Edison Marshall, who wrote several books around that time in the historical high adventure style.

Highly recommended as a read about the vintage historical epic movies is George MacDonald Fraser's NF "The Hollywood History of the World"

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon September 8th, 2008, 6:04 pm

[quote=""MLE""]That's it! Thanks. And Heston played General Gordon, who really did engage in this conflict. Set in Victorian times.[/quote]

But Gordon never had a face-to face with the Madhi. Good drama though, the same as with the fanciful meetings between Elizabeth I and Mary Stuart.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon September 8th, 2008, 11:45 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]
I got Mrs Brown from NetFlix today via a friend. Has anyone seen this? Opinions?
[/quote]

I saw this movie on PBS as part of the "Masterpiece Theater" season and enjoyed it.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Tue September 9th, 2008, 12:12 am

I've seen Mrs Brown a couple times and loved it. It was all about the Highland scene locations ... and Gerard Butler and Billy Connolly, for me though. Ah, those Scotsmen!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue September 9th, 2008, 2:38 am

[quote=""Leyland""]I've seen Mrs Brown a couple times and loved it. It was all about the Highland scene locations ... and Gerard Butler and Billy Connolly, for me though. Ah, those Scotsmen![/quote]

I've watched this one several times and enjoyed it immensely. The costuming is wonderful. Before this one, I had only seen Billy Connoly as a comedian (his standup is riotous, to say the least), and it really helped to flesh him out as an actor.

Here's the link to the review about the film that I put up:
http://www.epinions.com/review/mvie_mu- ... 8481217156
Last edited by Telynor on Tue September 9th, 2008, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue September 9th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Thanks for your input Telynor!!! I read your review entirely and look forward to viewing it tonight. :)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”