Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

RIP Tony Curtis

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 7:58 pm

He came to the Hay Festival a couple of years ago - had to be wheeled up onto stage on a wheelchair, but kept the audience spellbound. There was a power cut in the middle of his talk, but he just kept right on going until the lights came on again!
"There were no full time Vikings back then. Everybody had another job."
Neil Gaiman, from Odd and the Frost Giants.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 10:05 pm

Two of his best performances took place in Sweet Smell of Success and Captian Newman MD.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun October 3rd, 2010, 7:25 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I read recently that Michael Caine said that the first time he met Curtis, he was chastised for smoking and told that he should quit, but not long after Curtis was caught with marijuana at Heathrow.

SM[/quote]

Was he smoking the marijuana?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun October 3rd, 2010, 7:35 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Was he smoking the marijuana?[/quote]

I don't know to be honest, but I think he was still smoking himself because his wife blames his death partially on smoking, so it's a case of do as I say, no as I do.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

chuck
Bibliophile

TC

Post by chuck » Sun October 3rd, 2010, 8:41 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I read recently that Michael Caine said that the first time he met Curtis, he was chastised for smoking and told that he should quit, but not long after Curtis was caught with marijuana at Heathrow.

SM[/quote]

Now I know why I liked him....

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun October 3rd, 2010, 8:58 pm

Eddie Fisher died last week; for some reason I have always gotten the two mixed up; I have to think about who had which daughter and match last names....Both were amazing entertainers in their day; RIP. And as usual there is a trifecta - Gloria Stewart died as well.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon October 4th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Saw a picture of Gloria in her younger days in Entertainment Weekly. She was a bombshell!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”