Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Upcoming Movies In General

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon April 20th, 2009, 10:09 am

[quote=""annis""]Noooo! Please tell me that Tom Cruise isn't going to do a re-make of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"!
http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 12664.html[/quote]

:eek: :eek: :eek: (words fail me!)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 20th, 2009, 10:37 am

I remember years ago when Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner were hugely popular, there were rumours circulating that they would be teaming up for BC and the SK, and it never happened, so hopefully this is just another one of those rumours!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue April 21st, 2009, 12:41 am

[quote=""annis""]Noooo! Please tell me that Tom Cruise isn't going to do a re-make of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"!
http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 12664.html[/quote]

What made the Redford/Newman version so good was the Goldman dialogue (and the chemistry between the two actors). It couldn't hold a candle... just who are those guys anyway?

On a different subject, does anyone know if they are still planning a remake of Tron? I thought I read a few years back that they were considering it, but it doesn't appear to be listed on IMDb, so I assume it never materialized. I think a remake of that one with modern technology could be cool.

P.S. -- nevemind, I found it: Tron 2.0 (when in doubt, just consult Wik to find the right search terms)
Last edited by Ludmilla on Tue April 21st, 2009, 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue April 21st, 2009, 5:53 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I remember years ago when Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner were hugely popular, there were rumours circulating that they would be teaming up for BC and the SK, and it never happened, so hopefully this is just another one of those rumours![/quote]

Gad, I hope so! Costner, quite bluntly, has run his course, and hasn't done anything worth watching since Dances with Wolves. And as for Mel Gibson, after his drunken rant towards an LA cop and blatant anti-Semitism, I've vowed to never spend another dime on him again.

Some classics should never be messed with. BC & TSK is one of them.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue April 21st, 2009, 11:36 am

Here's the first shots of Russell Crowe in the upcoming Robin Hood movie.

My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue April 21st, 2009, 11:44 am

Wrong costume for the 1190's :eek: Short tunics like that were not the order of the day!
Is that a pine forest he's walking through? :eek: :eek: Also looks from his foot position as if he's going to fall over himself!
Last edited by EC2 on Tue April 21st, 2009, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forgot to mention something.
Les proz e les vassals

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue April 21st, 2009, 2:32 pm

Please somebody tell me there is still hope for the world of film. Can't believe the news lately. Tom Cruise can't be true. And Mr. Crowe's film doesn't look promising either.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue April 21st, 2009, 9:59 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Wrong costume for the 1190's :eek: Short tunics like that were not the order of the day!
Is that a pine forest he's walking through? :eek: :eek: Also looks from his foot position as if he's going to fall over himself![/quote]

Yeah, those certainly looking like a pine forest. I guess what with the short tunics they want to make sure that no one mistakes that they are wearing a dress....

:p Looks like another one of those films that takes the expression 'dark ages' literally.

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Tue April 21st, 2009, 10:42 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Is that a pine forest he's walking through? :eek: :eek: [/quote]

Don't know enough yet about highwaymen's fashion through the ages, but the IMDb says that all the filming has been done in the UK. I had to check, because usually when I see a forest like that, it was filmed here in BC. (Not always, just often. :D )
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue April 21st, 2009, 10:53 pm

We have plenty of pine forests in the UK (courtesy of the Forestry Commission) but Sherwood should be more deciduous woodland. Short tunics like that are generally of the fantasy costume variety. Later Medieval had more tailoring than the pic and where you might just get away with it (Viking) it's still on the somewhat short side. He should be wearing a knee-length tunic over a shirt, hose (tight fitting single-leg trousers) and braies (baggy underpants tucked into the trouser legs. The latter are attached to the waist of his braies by ties.
But as Telynor says, it might look as if he's wearing a dress to those who haven't got their eye in!
Les proz e les vassals

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”