Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Russell Crowe as Robin Hood

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Mon May 24th, 2010, 3:49 pm

I saw the movie last night with my daughter, as both of us are sops for anything medieval. I expected to like it for that reason, but for it to be too violent, as all Ridley Scott movies are. I did, however, really like it a lot--I found myself absorbed in the characters, even if Cate Blanchett's hair was jarring every time I looked at it--loose? really? and totally the wrong color for her :) The whole thing about Robin and his father was odd, particularly the inscription on the Locksley sword. How were they connected exactly?

The history is completely messed up, of course. Ah well. When the French came ashore I was wondering--has anyone ever done a movie about William the Conquerer? I'd like to see that.

I wouldn't have thought there would be so many archers but the debate is open so I'll give Ridley Scott a pass on that. Prince Louis did invade England in 1216 with the support of the English barons--after the Magna Carta was signed and then repudiated by John--and was proclaimed king in London in May of that year. Then John died, having already fathered 9 year old Henry by Isabella, which changed everything. The English kicked Louis out and William Marshal became regent. He reissued the Magna Carta in 1216.

I didn't expect to like Russell Crowe in this character as much as I did. I thought it was cool that they cast Cate Blanchette instead of a young thing in Marian's role, although as mentioned, that she fights in that last battle is ridiculous. It felt like the ending got cut somehow--it was jarringly quick.
Last edited by SarahWoodbury on Mon May 24th, 2010, 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue May 25th, 2010, 6:04 am

Went to see it this afternoon. It was plenty entertaining.
Rowan wrote:the one thing I was left slackjawed over was the style of the boats that the French used to come ashore. They looked rather like an early version of the Higgins boat used in WWII.

That is what it looked like to me too.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Matt Phillips
Reader

Post by Matt Phillips » Tue May 25th, 2010, 7:21 pm

I thought it was entertaining, not as compelling as "Gladiator" or even "Kingdom of Heaven," and a little slow in the middle, but worth seeing.

I tried to turn my inaccuracy tolerance way up in light of the legendary, not truly historical, subject matter, and at least appreciated that they tried to undergird the real historical figures' roles with some basis in truth. So, King Richard dies from a crossbow bolt before a French castle, although in reality IIRC it was while he was inspecting the siegeworks and not in the heat of battle. And there is a Magna Carta-type document years before the real one (and far more liberal and modern than the real one; this one sounds like it was written by Jefferson, not feudal barons), and a French invasion years before and under far different circumstances than the real one.

All in all, though, kernels of truth are all we can expect from most historical movies these days.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri May 28th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Interview with one of the original screenwriters. Apparently the film was originally supposed to be about the Sheriff rather then Robin Hood. It changed somewhat in development.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri May 28th, 2010, 10:48 pm

That would have been an interesting take on the RH story - pity they changed it. I have to say that Alan Rickman as the Sheriff in the Costner production absolutely stole the show. However, I can see that as a commercial proposition a movie about Robin hlmself is clearly more of a goer.

I hadn't realised that there were a couple of novels written from the Sheriff's POV- must check them out.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri May 28th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Now I feel like Matthew MacFadyen got cheated. :(

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat May 29th, 2010, 12:10 am

The original version sounded much more interesting. I'd be more interested in going to see CSI:Sherwood than I am in Gladiator:the remake.

And yes, I'm quite curious to check out the Sheriff of Nottingham novels, too.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat May 29th, 2010, 2:04 am

CSI:Sherwood
Now that would make a good story!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat May 29th, 2010, 5:08 am

Just had a look, and it seems as if Richard Kluger's "Sheriff of Nottingham" is the book that the script-writer had in mind-- the Cadnum novel is a YA story and sounds like the usual RH scenario.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat May 29th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Hello annis....Have you had a chance to read Lawhead's "Hood trilogy?...A very dark Welsh/King Raven legend spin....not your usual RH approach...Thinking about reading Godwin's "Sherwood" series again......Have not seen Crowe's RH....such a mixed message...might wait for the director's cut....why Is Marion in armour?
Last edited by chuck on Sat May 29th, 2010, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”