Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anyone else watching _We Shall Remain_ on PBS?

Telynor
Bibliophile

Anyone else watching _We Shall Remain_ on PBS?

Postby Telynor » Thu April 16th, 2009, 5:53 am

Saw the first episode of a fascinating look at American history from the viewpoint of the American Indians on PBS, part of the series "American Experience." The first one was about the Mayflower and expect everything you know about that to be blown away.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu April 16th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Sadly I no longer get any television. Did you know that aluminum siding interferes with digital reception? May have to actually get sattelite or cable.

Sound like an interesting series. I have both sides of that event in my background. My Dad likes to tell Mom and when her ancestors got off "the boat" his were there to meet them. :D

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Thu April 16th, 2009, 4:29 pm

I would be interested how the producers and narrators came to a consensus on the way they portrayed the NA.....Feels like they took the middle ground versus the typical Brutal warriors or victims of the the White's treachery....I was impressed with the first series....especially the way they presented the little known King Phillipp's War, where some 5,000 to 8,000 lives were lost to both sides....Disappointed they are skipping over the French Indian War and Pontiac's uprising....Oh well I'll keep watching......BTW

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Tue April 21st, 2009, 6:06 am

Chuck: Well, they only have about five episodes, so it's looking at the climatic points where European and Amerindian cultures clashed the hardest. Tonight's episode was 'Tecumseh's Vision' and again, very good filmmaking. Next monday is to be about the Trail of Tears.

What I am enjoying about this is that I'm filling in quite a bit of my own family's past. My maternal lines were those early New England settlers, and when I was compling genealogy, I noticed clusters of deaths about the same time as King Philip's War, but very little to go on. Now it's starting to make sense. I daresay that a lot of people who view the Amerindians as savages in need of civilization will be upset by this one. After watching the two episodes so far, I am feeling very bitter and ashamed of my ancestry.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”