Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Life On Mars" Cancelled

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

"Life On Mars" Cancelled

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 7:15 pm

Sigh, Harm and I like this show, figures it'd be cancelled! At least they're going to wrap it up explaining why a cop from 2008 finds himself in 1973 after being hit by a car. The original series in the UK only last 2 seasons but there were only 8 episodes each season so this series has last a bit longer or will have by the end.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Richard
Reader

Postby Richard » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 7:51 pm

I watched part of 2 episodes a couple of times since it's on after LOST in the US. I'd have preferred it as a straight-up 1973 cop show with an outstanding cast. The time-travel thing was an un-necessary complication.
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

User signature picture

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 7:53 pm

"Richard" wrote:I watched part of 2 episodes a couple of times since it's on after LOST in the US. I'd have preferred it as a straight-up 1973 cop show with an outstanding cast. The time-travel thing was an un-necessary complication.

But the time-travel thing was what made it different to the usual cop show! :)

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 8:21 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Sigh, Harm and I like this show, figures it'd be cancelled! At least they're going to wrap it up explaining why a cop from 2008 finds himself in 1973 after being hit by a car. The original series in the UK only last 2 seasons but there were only 8 episodes each season so this series has last a bit longer or will have by the end.

They made 2 seasons of Life on Mars in the UK, then switched the action to the early 80's for a follow-up series called Ashes to Ashes, starring Gene Hunt and the team with a female main character.

I saw the pilot for the US show and it was pretty execrable. They got it totally wrong. I thought it would translate well across the Atlantic, but it so didnt. :rolleyes:

The point about Life on Mars is that it was more an homage and affectionate send-up of 70's cop shows rather than about the 70's per se. Given the distinguished (!) tradition of US 70's cop shows I didn't think they could %^* this one up - but they did.

Richard
Reader

Postby Richard » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 8:55 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:[/B]

But the time-travel thing was what made it different to the usual cop show! :)

Well, one thing that was different was that there has not been a cop show set in the 70s since the 70s. It's a case of someone messing up perfectly good historical fiction with questionable science fiction! (Hey, I just made the thread on-topic! Cookie for me!)

I mean, you've already got Harvey Keitel and Michael Imperioli in the cast. Like Leo said, it's pretty hard to F that up. As we say on the internets, "sideburns FTW!"
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

User signature picture

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 11:17 pm

Bummer! I was going to get this season on DVD. I only watched one episode, but I liked it. Hmm, figures!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed March 4th, 2009, 11:21 am

Spookily enough, Bowie's song has just finished playing on the radio!

Not sure if we'll get the US version of LOM over here, there will be another series of Ashes to Ashes though. Shows generally don't transfer well across the Atlantic, in either direction, the Brits did their own version of Golden Girls a while ago and it was dire, despite having some excellent actresses doing their best.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Thu March 5th, 2009, 11:38 pm

They've cancelled it? Oh hell. Figures. I've been watching it since the first episode and I've enjoyed it very much, as it's set in a city that I know well. That first episode, when he wakes up and sees the Towers -- well it was spooky and priceless at the same time.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Thu March 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Ok, did anyone catch last night's episode? The stewardess one? Must say, the ending was pretty spooky.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu March 12th, 2009, 5:19 pm

"Telynor" wrote:Ok, did anyone catch last night's episode? The stewardess one? Must say, the ending was pretty spooky.

Not yet, I'm a episode behind and need to catch up.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”