Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Upcoming Television Season

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Sat December 13th, 2008, 12:08 am

and why aren't I in a relationship with Arthur Clennam?

Isn't it obvious, Alice? He's so smitten with me, he hasn't time for anyone else!!! LOL - He was rather lovely...if a bit slow on the uptake!! LOL

Well, we're none of us any the wiser and I am mightily relieved that I wasn't being super-stupid in not getting it. When you eventually plough through to the end of the book, please reveal all!! Miss Waide and Tattycoram seemed to be a bit of an irrelevance...as did the story of the marriage of the girl from Tattycoram's original family - and the artist...it all just fizzled out.

I absolutely love Dickens but I have to say some of his stories seem to get so far, filled with brilliant plots but then lose their way. The most disappointing of all was "Our Mutual Friend" - it had a brilliant build-up; a couple who were kind but then came into a lot of money and became very nasty...and then, at the end, they basically said, "We were only pretending to be nasty to test other people."??? It reminded me a bit of how we write as children, with great ideas, then run out of steam and say, "And it was all a dream..."

Can't be of any help, but I was excited to see that this is coming to the US in April! Perhaps you will understand the end and can explain it to us...because we obviously don't get it :-) John Alderton makes an unsual appearance as a 'bad guy' pretending to be good - and that was a bit of an irrelevance as well...Hmm...

Arthur Clennam does look rather pleasing to the eye.

Indeed ;-) , and it was worth watching just for him :-) .

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon December 15th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Christina & Alice :
You are not the only ones to be left with a lot of questions on Little Dorrit !
As I understood it : Arthur's so called mother wasn't his mother, she took him away from his mother and never told him. Little Dorrit was the illegitimate child of the old lady (so called Arthur's mother) 's husband.
The money didn't go to little dorrit at first but to her father (well the man she believed to be her father) when he died it was supposed to go to her and her sister Fanny but since he had invested all of it in the bank that went bust it was all gone.

And uhm ..... yes isn't Matthew Macfadyen gorgeous !!

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Tue December 16th, 2008, 3:01 pm

Oh...thank you for this, Carine :-) ...And now I am even more confused!! LOL
So Little Dorrit would have been Arthur's half-sister, except his father wasn't his father?? Ho-hum, sounds to me like Dickens began the story with them being half-siblings but then the love interest came in and he had to change it and make Arthuir someone else's to avoid the incest! (Come to think of it, wasn't Dickens close to his sister...or am I just confusing him with Lord Byron??). I suppose Fanny's dancing thing suggests she inherited that from her mother, and the illegitimate child was the child of a dancer...so that would make sense of that. But why had the old lady taken Arthur? And whose child was he? And why did the house suddenly fall down?? LOL!!! And what was the relevance of Miss Waide and...and...and...
I guess I shall have to make my New Year Resolution be to read the book!

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Tue December 16th, 2008, 6:02 pm

[quote=""Carine""]Christina & Alice :
You are not the only ones to be left with a lot of questions on Little Dorrit !
As I understood it : Arthur's so called mother wasn't his mother, she took him away from his mother and never told him. Little Dorrit was the illegitimate child of the old lady (so called Arthur's mother) 's husband.
The money didn't go to little dorrit at first but to her father (well the man she believed to be her father) when he died it was supposed to go to her and her sister Fanny but since he had invested all of it in the bank that went bust it was all gone.

And uhm ..... yes isn't Matthew Macfadyen gorgeous !!

Image[/quote]

I watched the repeat, and I think that what happened was.......
Arthur's father was the man he called father, who urged him to put things right. Mrs Clennam was not his mother, but had taken him away from his real mother, who had had a liaison with his father. The real mother was forced into a workhouse, where she died, but not before Arthur's grandfather, (his father's father) found out the whole story. He, (I think) made the legacy to LD, bestowing an inheritance on a child born in the Marshalsea on the same day, (but a few years later) than Arthur. So they are not related. However, old Mrs Clennam had obviously kept this from the Dorrits, hence her appeal to forgive her. I'm still not sure about where/how the Dorrits got their money, as Pancks did all the detective work there, didn't he, and I don't think that that inheritance was to do with the Clennams, but I could be wrong. I still don't know how Rigaud knew it all. I will have to finish the book.

And yes, MM is lovely. Funny how his initials spell mmmmmmmm! :D

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Tue December 16th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Hahaha, I can imagine you are even more confused now Christina ! :-) )
But even though I caught some of the story, I too was left with a lot of questions.
I haven't got a clue as to why the old lady had taken Arthur away from his real mother and I just assumed that the house fell down because it was in such a poor state and apparently the old woman didn't have any money to maintain it. Miss Wayde, well somehow she knew the old lady had taken Arthur because she had this box with baby socks at the ebd there didn't she, so I assumed she kept it a secret. Why ? I wouldn't know, and how ? I don't know either. Somehow this story seems to have an awful lot of loose ends !
I wonder whether the book gives any more explanations though, if it does then the BBC made a very bad job of it and that is something we're not at all used to from the BBC so I doubt it.
Anyway, if you read the book, will you let me know ? Cause I'm not planning on reading it .... too many books on my TBR pile already !! :D :D

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 5:09 am

Raymond Khoury's "The Last Templar" is in production NBC is planning a 4-1 hour mini series planned for April 2009....I admit I read it last year.... a bit of a cheesy read....Khoury is a screenwriter and I sensed it when I read his novel...Oh well I'm a sucker for The Lost Legions/Eagles, Arthur, Vikings, the Crusades etc.....And yes I will watch "The Last Templar".......BTW Mia Sorvino is the lead actor

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 8th, 2009, 5:59 am

For those of you who read the series and have HBO, starting March 29th "The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency" begins.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu January 8th, 2009, 9:14 am

I am looking forward to watching this when it comes on here
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 8th, 2009, 12:21 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]For those of you who read the series and have HBO, starting March 29th "The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency" begins.

SM[/quote]

I'll be interested to hear what you think of this. It got mixed reviews when shown in the UK last Easter, personally I thought they changed it quite a bit from the book and most people I know didn't like it very much!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 8th, 2009, 6:04 pm

I don't read the series and I have way too many shows I watch as it is, so I probably won't watch the show, sorry.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”