Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Victoria (US broadcast January 2017)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Re: Victoria (US broadcast January 2017)

Postby princess garnet » Tue February 14th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Last night I listened to the latest "Masterpiece Studio" podcast featuring novelist and "Victoria" series creator Daisy Goodwin. She reveals who played Lady Cecilia/Duchess of Inverness.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue February 14th, 2017, 5:58 pm

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed February 15th, 2017, 1:19 am

Misfit wrote:http://blog.hrp.org.uk/curators/victoria-albert-romance/

Their wedding night was a success – ‘we did not sleep much,’ she admitted, and in the morning she relished seeing him ‘in his shirt only, with his beautiful throat seen’ for the first time. They linked arms as they savoured a romantic walk outside Windsor Castle but soon they were surrounded by guests. Faced with this audience, the pair resorted to private signals. He sat very close to her at dinner. She squeezed his hand during the formal dances. They were finally alone at midnight but by the time she undressed, Albert was fast asleep on the sofa. She woke him up with a kiss.

Next morning, he put her silk stockings on for her. She watched him shave. They shared a private breakfast then she sang to him. But by noon they were riding in carriages with their entourage and a meeting with the Prime Minister, Lord Melbourne, broke the spell. Albert had no money. Strict protocols forced uncomfortable talk about where Albert should stand during formal royal events. The reality of queenship was setting in.

Why couldn't we have gotten more of this story?

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Wed February 15th, 2017, 3:13 am

Misfit wrote:
Misfit wrote:http://blog.hrp.org.uk/curators/victoria-albert-romance/

Their wedding night was a success – ‘we did not sleep much,’ she admitted, and in the morning she relished seeing him ‘in his shirt only, with his beautiful throat seen’ for the first time. They linked arms as they savoured a romantic walk outside Windsor Castle but soon they were surrounded by guests. Faced with this audience, the pair resorted to private signals. He sat very close to her at dinner. She squeezed his hand during the formal dances. They were finally alone at midnight but by the time she undressed, Albert was fast asleep on the sofa. She woke him up with a kiss.

Next morning, he put her silk stockings on for her. She watched him shave. They shared a private breakfast then she sang to him. But by noon they were riding in carriages with their entourage and a meeting with the Prime Minister, Lord Melbourne, broke the spell. Albert had no money. Strict protocols forced uncomfortable talk about where Albert should stand during formal royal events. The reality of queenship was setting in.

Why couldn't we have gotten more of this story?

Excellent question! Because they were wasting too much time with Miss Skerrett's inaccurate story and the untrue infatuation of Prince Ernst and the Duchess of Sutherland. There are more than enough events revolving around Victoria and Albert to fill the time.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed February 15th, 2017, 6:04 am

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed February 15th, 2017, 6:05 am

Excellent question! Because they were wasting too much time with Miss Skerrett's inaccurate story and the untrue infatuation of Prince Ernst and the Duchess of Sutherland. There are more than enough events revolving around Victoria and Albert to fill the time.
V and A really have a nice chemistry, I would have liked to see the scenes we missed.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu February 16th, 2017, 12:23 am

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu February 16th, 2017, 9:40 am

Misfit wrote:
V and A really have a nice chemistry, I would have liked to see the scenes we missed.

Apparently the actors are a couple in real life.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu February 16th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Madeleine wrote:Apparently the actors are a couple in real life.

Interesting! Were they a couple before or after the filming began?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri February 17th, 2017, 9:47 am

I think they knew each other, but not sure if they were dating.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”