Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Proper form of address

Nina
Currently reading: The Duke's Disaster
Interest in HF: My mom used to read historical romance and I guess I just picked up from there. I like being transported to a different time and place. I have started reading more modern romances in recent years and quite like them as well.
Favourite HF book: Not really sure.
Preferred HF: I like historical romance in any era.

Proper form of address

Post by Nina » Sun January 24th, 2021, 10:54 pm

Hello,

I'm just starting on my newest novel and already have a conundrum to sort out. I've tried a multitude of websites to find info, but to no avail. My main character is a second son. The family is of the peerage and his older brother will one day become an earl. The main character is an owner of two merchant ships and doing very well for himself.

I've found some good sites on how to refer to everyone of the peerage (Lord, Lady, etc.) but I'm not sure how to refer to my character. Would he be Captain ***** or simply Mr. ****** when he's in polite society such as a ball (not on his ship). If he was military, it's a given. However as a merchant mariner, I'm finding many ambiguous / conflicting ideas.

Captain Drake, Captain Nemo, Captain Jack Sparrow, Captain Morgan, Captain Hook--all non-naval captains (real or fictional), but still doesn't answer the question of how others would address them off ship.

Thanks for any clarification you might be able to provide, Nina

Return to “Questions and Research”