Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Guides for Grammar

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Guides for Grammar

Post by Rowan » Thu July 2nd, 2015, 1:31 pm

I have recently found myself in the position of editing my sister's already published books (two of them) and probably the rest of the series in manuscript form. I'm looking for good recommendations on grammar textbooks or guides because I have nothing to work from and it's been *mumbles* years since I received my BA in English. :p

Can anyone offer suggestions?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu July 2nd, 2015, 3:28 pm

Strunk and White's Elements of Style is still the gold standard. Has been for decades.
And I can recommend Browne and King's Self-Editing for Fiction Writers.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon July 6th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Many publishers use a specific style guide. The Chicago Manual of Style is popular and they have an on-line version with Q&A and forums: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Questions and Research”