Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mud Brick

lauragill
Avid Reader

Mud Brick

Post by lauragill » Thu February 14th, 2013, 9:40 pm

If anyone can tell me: how hard is mud brick? Specifically, how much force would it take to punch through a mud brick wall? I'd be grateful.

Antoine Vanner
Reader

Post by Antoine Vanner » Fri February 15th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Some of the oldest mud-brick I have seen was at Mari, in Syria, an ancient Sumerian and Amorite city on the western bank of Euphrates river, some 120 km southeast of Deir ez-Zor, Syria. It is thought to have been inhabited since the 5th millennium BC, although it flourished with series of superimposed palaces spanning a thousand years, from 2900 BC until 1759 BC. The bricks seem to have the strength of modern fired brick - they've certainly been keeping their cohesiveness for a very long time. If you want to know more a good starting point is the Wikipedia article - just Google Mari Syria also to see some excellent images.

So depending how thick a wall of mud-brick is, and depending on how old it is, it probably isn't much weaker than a modern brick wall.I suspect that more recently constructed mud bricks may be less strong. Having said this I've seen ant-heaps in West Africa that seemed to be as hard as concrete.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat February 16th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Mudbrick construction should be just as strong as concrete. If there was a weakness in ancient mudbrick construction it would probably lie in the mortar or insufficient protection against rain, though most would use a clay or lime caoting as an outside sealant. This form of construction was generally most popular in area with dry climates anyway. If you wanted someone to punch through a mudbrick wall, he'd better choose one that's still in the process of construction so not yet "set", or else one that hasn't been properly made or he'll end up with a broken arm :)
Last edited by annis on Sat February 16th, 2013, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sat February 16th, 2013, 10:44 pm

[quote=""annis""]Mudbrick construction should be just as strong as concrete. If there was a weakness in ancient mudbrick construction it would probably lie in the mortar or insufficient protection against rain, though most would use a clay or lime caoting as an outside sealant. This form of construction was generally most popular in area with dry climates anyway. If you wanted someone to punch through a mudbrick wall, he'd better choose one that's still in the process of construction so not yet "set", or else one that hasn't been properly made or he'll end up with a broken arm :) [/quote]

Thanks. My character isn't punching through the wall with his fist, but a stone axe. I imagine it would be hard to do with the mudbrick itself and the many layers of plaster atop it, since walls were whitewashed once a year.

The scene is an arson in the middle of the night. The protagonist and his family are trapped in the back room, and the only way out is to punch a hole through the mudbrick and plaster.

Return to “Questions and Research”