Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do You Want to Know if a Novel is Self-Published?

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat April 16th, 2011, 2:42 pm

The novel I just reviewed on my blog, Georgia Lowe's The Bonus, appears to be self-published under the author's imprint. I cover very few of these and included a note in my review policy saying so - since I don't have the time to wade through everything to find the good ones, and don't want to waste authors' time and postage either. It helped that it had been reviewed positively in both PW and Kirkus, plus the production is professional - the writing, editing, typesetting, cover design, etc. I can see why the subject would be considered unmarketable (the Bonus March of 1932 - social movement during the Depression in the US) and why the author went the self-pub route, but it was very well done. A little more expensive than usual trade pb price is all.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun April 17th, 2011, 7:36 am

Novels like The Bonus are examples of what can be really valuable about the widespread availability of self-publishing services and online ordering. The typical reader may not be that interested in the Bonus Marchers, but if one's grandparents or great-grandparents participated, a novel like this can be of very strong interest. Once upon a time, lots of small presses existed who would publish niche works like this; now, the self-publishing route may be the only way to go. Without it, readers would not have access to books like this.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun April 17th, 2011, 1:39 pm

It's very true, Margaret, that a book like this would be considered a niche work, and that self-publishing may be the only option. Although that depresses me a bit! Very few novels about Depression-era America would sell these days unless they were literary fiction (or historical mysteries), and this one is neither.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun April 17th, 2011, 7:22 pm

What really saddens me are the ever-increasing numbers of self-publishing services that pass themselves off to writers as small presses. They make writers feel like their work has been judged and found worthy when, in fact, these outfits do no screening for literary value and accept every work submitted to them as long as it is set up in the format (margins, typeface, etc.) they require. Usually, the cover art is rudimentary or even downright unattractive, and the printing quality may be substandard (one book I was sent for review was in such a tiny typeface I couldn't stand to read it). Most writers could do just as well and probably much better using a straightforward self-publishing service that allows them control over the cover art and meets professional standards for printing quality. There are still real small presses out there which screen submissions and accept only those works they feel are of merit and fit the press's area of interest. A real small press will edit the works they accept - and not charge extra for editing services. Unfortunately, writers need to be careful who they submit their work to - a big red flag is if the "publisher's" website promotes its service to writers rather than to readers.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Greg
Reader

Indie mark of shame or badge of honour?

Post by Greg » Sun May 1st, 2011, 2:43 am

[quote=""Margaret""]What really saddens me are the ever-increasing numbers of self-publishing services that pass themselves off to writers as small presses. They make writers feel like their work has been judged and found worthy when, in fact, these outfits do no screening for literary value ----cut ----. Unfortunately, writers need to be careful who they submit their work to - a big red flag is if the "publisher's" website promotes its service to writers rather than to readers.[/quote]

To Margaret and the all the historical fiction readers, To me the self publishing label is a badge of honour, not of shame, indicating commitment, bravery and an honest effort to get your story out to interested readers.
This discussion of self publishing vs traditional publishing I have found very interesting over the past three years, especially since I’ve been knocking my head against the agent/publisher brick wall. Now I know it is not always so and I do not mean to sound like an attack of sour grapes, but my research over the years indicates that location and contacts may have more to do with getting published that a good query and a top quality story. So since I don’t live anywhere near those blessed sanctified locations and travelling in the Antipodes is an experience in continental distances I have seriously looked into the self publishing aspect. Now considering the plethora of adverts promising you to get your book printed, promoted and sold I can be conclude that it is infested with cozeners, cross biter and swindlers. Ahh just like the gambling dens of Southwark I feel so at home!
However a quick review of the editors and predators website also indicates that the ‘professional publishing’ field is similarly packed with persons of dubious integrity, so what is a poor author struggling for a break to do? Well I for one am rather tried of sitting around waiting and waiting for replies to my business proposal (which in its basic form is exactly what a book is). Thus having dealt with the cover by an up and coming artist, and had my work vetted three times by an editor who used to work for the most distinguished library in the country, it is now perhaps more ready than a comparable mass market novel. Now for getting it out my best economic model is going down the ebook line, than after refining the quality and process I will in time set up my own press.
So the self publish tag I will wear with pride, since all large publishers and famous writers all started out small, none were instantly successful and well known. As far as I can see the seeds of the future renewal of literary culture lie in the valiant hands of the indies. Go for it!

Regards Greg

http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot.com...

To those who may be interested my Liberties of London has passed just passed the first stage of Smashwords publication check here.
http://www.smashwords.com/books/search? ... +of+London

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Mon July 11th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I admit that many self-published novels suck, but not all of them do. Sometimes, an author has to turn to self-publishing and promotion because she's tried to go the traditional route with no success. Unless you know someone in the business, or have sold before, it's very hard to persuade an agent to look at your work. I know that sounds like my product wasn't good enough. No agent has ever said that was the case. Sometimes, it's simply a case of an agent not being interested in a project set in the Bronze Age. Maybe a Regency novel would do better.

I do know that I worked the equivalent of a full time job editing, polishing and researching my novel, and ran the final product through a copy editor before publishing.

If you are interested in anything to do with the Trojan War, or the House of Atreus, I encourage you to check out a free preview of my novel to assure yourselves that you are getting a quality product. I would like to publish my previous effort, Helen's Daughter, which is set right after the Trojan War, and is the story of Helen of Troy's daughter Hermione, but am testing the waters with The Young Lion before putting a second novel out there.
Last edited by lauragill on Tue July 12th, 2011, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue July 12th, 2011, 4:18 pm

@lauragill: will definitely check it out. That time period floats my boat bigtime. Thanks for posting!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue July 12th, 2011, 6:44 pm

I'll be looking at your book as well, Laura. I have an idea for a novel set in roughly that time frame. I've always been a sucker for ancient Greece.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Tue July 12th, 2011, 7:35 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I'll be looking at your book as well, Laura. I have an idea for a novel set in roughly that time frame. I've always been a sucker for ancient Greece.[/quote]

Thank you for your support, and to everyone who is taking a look.

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 6:11 am

Very interesting thread. I spent two years looking for a literary agent (never mind a publisher), trying every suitable one in the Writers and Artists Yearbook, and quite a few not in it. Needless to say I got nowhere (one starts out with such naive optimism...).

It was a tip-off that led me to Arx: a small Catholic publisher that focusses on historical fiction. They generally do YA fiction, which Centurion's Daughter is not, but I accommodated myself to that, adding illustrations to the book, with the justification that teenagers read books intended for adults anyway.

Anyhow, the bottom line of this thread seems to be: with the changes in the publishing industry, what are the currently reliable criteria by which one can know from the outset that a novel is worth reading? The urban legend that the bigger the publisher the better the novel is even less valid today than it was in the past.

The one criterion mooted here seems to be: if people I trust give a good (as opposed to a rave) review, then I'll have a look. The problem is getting those kind of reviews (I have two so far on Amazon). It is difficult and becoming more so.

I fear that the growing mountain of books, especially e-books (easy and almost free to produce) will make it increasingly impossible to sift the good from the bad, meaning that a lot of good stories will be lost. Publishing, including e-publishing, will revert to a contacts game: knowing the right people who are in a position to make your book visible.

There, had my grump.
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Return to “Questions and Research”