Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Oed

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Oed

Post by Rowan » Tue October 26th, 2010, 10:06 pm

I'm quite sure I've asked this question before, but I'm thinking it was perhaps before the "big move", so I'm asking again: does anyone have a physical copy or online access to the Oxford English Dictionary?

I'm searching for the earliest usage of the word 'disability'.

Thanks!

annabel
Scribbler

disability

Post by annabel » Wed October 27th, 2010, 9:56 am

In England we have access to OED online by joining a library. There are loads more references but the earliest ones are:

Disability meaning 1): Lack of ability(to discharge any office or function); inability; weakness
1545 R. Ascham Toxophilus n.f. 27 : It be more through his own negligence for bicause he wyll not learne, than bicause any disabilitie, bicause he can not lerne

2) A physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses or activities ... the fact or state of having such a condition:

1561 in A.F. Johnston & M. Rogerson REc. Early Eng Drama ...

[The] shirefes of this Citie have mad right humble request...to be spared of the sayd ryding on Corpus Christi day and Midsomar even, allegying sumdry impedymentes and disabilities

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed October 27th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Thank you Annabel.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed October 27th, 2010, 6:38 pm

[quote=""annabel""]In England we have access to OED online by joining a library. [/quote]

Hey, I didn't know about the library subscription for OED online. Thanks for that. I do use my library subscription for the National Biography and find it incredibly useful.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annabel
Scribbler

Post by annabel » Sat October 30th, 2010, 11:56 am

I'm in Torquay, Devon and Torbay library services do this so I hope it applies nationwide. I love my local library, they are so good at finding obscure books and everyone is helpful and friendly. They have an annual Agatha Christie season which is fun.

Return to “Questions and Research”