Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Church Layout

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Church Layout

Post by Rowan » Thu August 26th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Hi guys, I was wondering if there are any here who are knowledgable on the layout of a cathedral. I have two photographs from my trip which I'm trying to identify so I don't sound like an idiot when I share my photos with others.

I know 1349 is not a full photograph of the seat but it's opposite the one in 1350 and looks much the same.

Also, I'd like to know who leads services in CofA services. I wanted to attend one in Gloucester Cathedral, but there weren't any "normal" services going on because they were preparing for a choral concert.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Thu August 26th, 2010, 9:55 pm

The photos look as if they are in the chancel, beyond the choir stalls and are probably used by members of the clergy during services.

Services can be conducted by any member of the clergy. The priest in charge of a cathedral is a Dean but he has a staff (known as a chapter) of several other clergy who are usually Canons. A canon is a step up from a vicar, who you would find in charge of a parish church.

These are the Dean and chapter at Gloucester:

http://www.gloucestercathedral.org.uk/i ... edral-life
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon August 30th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Thank you for your response Libby. :)

Return to “Questions and Research”