Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Blood-sweating horses"

annis
Bibliomaniac

"Blood-sweating horses"

Post by annis » Fri August 21st, 2009, 10:43 am

I'd never come across these before, but strangely, recently read three novels in a row which mentioned them! They were known in China as Heavenly or Celestial Horses and greatly prized, and a Chinese Emperor went to war to maintain access to them- they apparently came from the Fergana Valley in central Asia. They are described as having a metallic coat and I was wondering if they might be related to the Akhai-Teke horse.
Does anyone know?

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Not an answer, but...

Post by parthianbow » Fri August 21st, 2009, 2:38 pm

Hi Annis

It wouldn't surprise me if they were one and the same thing.

I've been to Turkmenistan, where the Akhal-Teke horses are from, and I've also been to Kyrgyzstan, where the Ferghana valley is situated.

Unfortunately, I was unable to visit the Ferghana valley while in Kyrgyzstan, but I did travel to the east of Bishkek, the capital, ending up in a town called Karakol. There I had the mindblowing privilege of seeing a horse market, and travelling up into the mountains on horseback, where I met nomads who lived in yurts. They had herds of horses, hundreds of them, and lived on a diet of kumis (pron. 'coo-mees' - it's fermented horse milk) which is the most vile food I have ever had the pleasure (!) of tasting. :eek: :eek: :eek: Incredible to see people living the same way they have for centuries. (According to the locals, Genghis Khan came through the valley I was in on his way west.)

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I thought that the nomads I met would know the answer to your question. Not that I can ask them! :o
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 1:37 am

thanks anyway, Ben :) Your travels among the nomads sound amazing- I'm jealous!

Return to “Questions and Research”