Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Article: WWII Diplomats who had to leave DC

Got a link of interest to your fellow members? Post it here!
princess garnet
Bibliophile

Article: WWII Diplomats who had to leave DC

Post by princess garnet » Fri January 12th, 2018, 10:15 pm

I wanted to share this interesting story about the diplomats who had to leave DC for their security during the early years of WWII:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a- ... f3fd961489
As mentioned in the article, the book Such Splendid Prisons will be published next year.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Article: WWII Diplomats who had to leave DC

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri January 12th, 2018, 11:33 pm

What an interesting bit of info! The resorts might have been nice, but I doubt being penned up there for years was much fun.

Writer by Trade
Currently reading: Metropolis by Philip Kerr
Preferred HF: between the wars and WWII

Re: Article: WWII Diplomats who had to leave DC

Post by Writer by Trade » Tue February 4th, 2020, 5:09 am

Such Splendid Prisons: Diplomatic Detainment in America during World War II has been published by Potomac Books. See the author's presentation on C-SPAN at https://www.c-span.org/video/?467842-1/ ... id-prisons

Return to “Links”