Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction series

Got a link of interest to your fellow members? Post it here!
blueemerald
Reader

Historical Fiction series

Post by blueemerald » Sun August 2nd, 2015, 2:48 am

I thought I had posted this link already, but didn't not come up with it upon searching. Forgive my repeat self promotion if this link is a duplicate. Here is a list of historical fiction series that I put together. It may be rather amateur, but a good go of a list all the same. I'm open to suggestions of other HF series-just let me know. Maybe someone(s) will discover a series that tickles your fancy! Then my life will be complete..... (oh, blueemerald :lol: )

http://1mpages.com/HistoricalFiction.html

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Re: Historical Fiction series

Post by Madeleine » Sun August 2nd, 2015, 10:51 am

Thanks for that site, Blueemerald, it's wonderful - I had a quick look at the family saga page and am already tempted by the Eden series.... :D However I'm not sure if it's been published in the US but there's a 5th book in the Cazalet series, called "All Change", which was published in the UK around 18 months ago.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun August 2nd, 2015, 11:11 am

Madeleine wrote:Thanks for that site, Blueemerald, it's wonderful - I had a quick look at the family saga page and am already tempted by the Eden series.... :D However I'm not sure if it's been published in the US but there's a 5th book in the Cazalet series, called "All Change", which was published in the UK around 18 months ago.
Edited to say - just looked at the Eden series on Fantastic fiction - yikes some of the prices :o and some of the covers are worth a look too :shock:
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 2nd, 2015, 12:00 pm

Madeleine wrote:
Madeleine wrote:Thanks for that site, Blueemerald, it's wonderful - I had a quick look at the family saga page and am already tempted by the Eden series.... :D However I'm not sure if it's been published in the US but there's a 5th book in the Cazalet series, called "All Change", which was published in the UK around 18 months ago.
Edited to say - just looked at the Eden series on Fantastic fiction - yikes some of the prices :o and some of the covers are worth a look too :shock:
Do your libraries have them? That's how I obtained copies. That series is all kinds of emotional cray cray and I highly recommend it up to book five. Skip the last two. She either phoned them in or subbed them out to another writer.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 2nd, 2015, 12:00 pm

blueemerald wrote:I thought I had posted this link already, but didn't not come up with it upon searching. Forgive my repeat self promotion if this link is a duplicate. Here is a list of historical fiction series that I put together. It may be rather amateur, but a good go of a list all the same. I'm open to suggestions of other HF series-just let me know. Maybe someone(s) will discover a series that tickles your fancy! Then my life will be complete..... (oh, blueemerald :lol: )

http://1mpages.com/HistoricalFiction.html
Nice list, thank you.

blueemerald
Reader

Post by blueemerald » Sun August 2nd, 2015, 6:50 pm

Thanks for the "Cazalet" update Madeline. Having put the list together, I'm finding the challenge now is to keep the information current. I appreciate your info.

The "Eden" series I enjoyed as a WWI family saga series. I found them used (quite) over time in various used bookshops around town (Seattle).

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon August 3rd, 2015, 8:54 am

Thanks blueemerald, this looks really useful! Not that I need more HF reading suggestions, but I know I'm going to look for several of these anyway.

Page bookmarked :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 3rd, 2015, 2:51 pm

Are there two Eden series we're talking about here? The one I commented about was the one by Marilyn Harris, and definitely not WWI.

blueemerald
Reader

Post by blueemerald » Tue August 4th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Misfit wrote:Are there two Eden series we're talking about here? The one I commented about was the one by Marilyn Harris, and definitely not WWI.
Misfit-yes there are two "Eden" series (sort of!). There is the one you found by Marilyn Harris. Not WWI certainly, although the concluding book "Eden and Honor" includes WWI. (BTW-enjoyed your review on Goodreads). The "Loss of Eden" series by John Masters is the one I was thinking of. It does have WWI context. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for calling out the clarification.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 4th, 2015, 6:25 pm

blueemerald wrote:
Misfit wrote:Are there two Eden series we're talking about here? The one I commented about was the one by Marilyn Harris, and definitely not WWI.
Misfit-yes there are two "Eden" series (sort of!). There is the one you found by Marilyn Harris. Not WWI certainly, although the concluding book "Eden and Honor" includes WWI. (BTW-enjoyed your review on Goodreads). The "Loss of Eden" series by John Masters is the one I was thinking of. It does have WWI context. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for calling out the clarification.
Thanks, I was worried I was losing it. Harris' series has some incredible heart wrenching moments. I mean, put the book down and cry. One thing I like about her writing is that even when something truly awful happens to someone, Harris doesn't go in the reader's face with gory details, she's a good enough author to impart to the reader that something awful happened by the way characters behaved the next day.

Return to “Links”