Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Queen Victoria laughs

Got a link of interest to your fellow members? Post it here!
princess garnet
Bibliophile

Queen Victoria laughs

Post by princess garnet » Sun September 11th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Queen Victoria did have a sense of humor as this post from a new blog "Lost in the Myths of History" shows.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun September 11th, 2011, 9:09 pm

I think the dour perception we have of Queen Victoria is because she was one of the most photographed persons of her day, and at the time (which people toady often don't even realize) a 'daguerreotype' as they were called, took over two minutes. Nobody can maintain a realistic smile that long, so faces were composed into neutral expressions, which we now think of a solemn and joyless.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun September 11th, 2011, 11:35 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I think the dour perception we have of Queen Victoria is because she was one of the most photographed persons of her day, and at the time (which people toady often don't even realize) a 'daguerreotype' as they were called, took over two minutes. Nobody can maintain a realistic smile that long, so faces were composed into neutral expressions, which we now think of a solemn and joyless.[/quote]

Very true. The photo was taken on June 21, 1887 during the celebration of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. The Queen was seated in an open landau going to or from Westminster Abbey when the photo was taken.

Incorrectly, Queen Victoria has gotten that dour perception. Victoria was quite temperamental and had a strong sexuality which Prince Albert apparently met, as evidenced by the birth of nine children. Albert was somewhat prudish and his high moral standards would never allow extramarital affairs. He found marriage to Victoria a full-time job which exhausted him physically and mentally.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon September 12th, 2011, 3:27 am

Besides, photos during the Victorian Era were suppose to be like portraits from days gone by. Serious. Stoic.

I think the queen gets her reputation from her serious expressions(though looking through my CDV collection so did every other woman) and the fact she wore black and was in mourning after husband died. Death doesnt exactly bring about joy. Or doesnt make people think happy thoughts.

We always tend to forget the young victoria. She is replaced by the old, frumpy ahem, fat woman in black with gray hair. Nothing romantic, or fun about that! Even I have to remind myself she was a young woman with passion and romance in her heart.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon September 12th, 2011, 4:00 am

The story about the deaf sailor is hilarious. I, too, would have had a hard time suppressing laughter!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Queen Victoria Archives on line

Post by Ken » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 2:35 pm

For those interested in Queen Victoria, a fascinating archive of her life and reign has just been put on line:

http://www.queen-victorias-scrapbook.org/

Return to “Links”