Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Aimée du Buc de Rivéry

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Aimée du Buc de Rivéry

Post by Misfit » Thu June 13th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Which country for her story? Turkey or France? Anyway, I wanted to start compiling books on her so I have a place to find them if I forget.

So far in novels I have:

Sultana by Prince Michael of Greece
Seraglio: A Novel by Janet Wallach

Valide: A Novel of the Harem by Barbara Chase-Riboud (thanks, Annis)

ETA: A Distant Shore by Susannah James. I own a copy of this, but before you run out and buy your own, read my friend Sarah's GR review here. This sounds very much like one of the old skool WTF anything goes bodice ripper. Enter at your own risk and proper mindset.

Anyone else have suggestions?
Last edited by Misfit on Thu June 13th, 2013, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat June 15th, 2013, 3:40 am

There's also a novel around called The French Odalisque by Sean Graham (London: Orbach and Chambers, 2009). However, it seems to be one of those novels that immediately drop down a black hole, only to reappear in remaindered bins some time later.

One thing about Aimée's story is that it is regarded as a legend. It is disputed by many and there isn't a lot of evidence to uphold it. It's believed that Sultan Mahmud II's mother Nakşidil Sultan may been a concubine from the Caucausus, and there are documents which appear to confirm that. It is a great story, though - too good to let go :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat June 15th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Fascinating story, with plenty of room for speculation. I just finished Sultana. The first half was very good, and the first person narrative worked well with all the action inside the seraglio. Then outside events took over, and so did the info dumps to some degree. I would still recommend it, and you could quit around the time selim took reign and have a satisfying read. Small font warning on the MMPB.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “By Country/Continent”