Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poland and Russia

Veronica
Avid Reader

Poland and Russia

Post by Veronica » Fri March 18th, 2011, 9:27 am

Does anyone know if there are any fiction books about the royalty or similar in Poland? come to think of it I have never come across any HF about Poland...

Same with Russia; are there any HF about the Tsar's?

Thank you :)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Fri March 18th, 2011, 9:29 am

Sorry, realised the question about Tsar's have been answered in the "right" thread.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri March 18th, 2011, 8:40 pm

James Michener wrote a novel called, appropriately enough, Poland. There are some others, which will turn up if you go to the home page at HistoricalNovels.info and search on "Poland." One that intrigues me, though I haven't read it (or anything else by the author), is James Conroyd Martin's Push Not the River, about a Polish countess during the Napoleonic era.

Poland has an interesting history - I've encountered bits and pieces of it while researching the history of other areas (nothing in history exists apart from everything else in history, it seems) - which does seem to be underrepresented in historical fiction.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri March 18th, 2011, 9:13 pm

If you don't mind YA, there's a Newbery award winning book, the Trumpeter of Kracow. I started an audio book of it long ago, and was enjoying it when the tape broke. Must get back to it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 18th, 2011, 10:04 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]James Michener wrote a novel called, appropriately enough, Poland. There are some others, which will turn up if you go to the home page at HistoricalNovels.info and search on "Poland." One that intrigues me, though I haven't read it (or anything else by the author), is James Conroyd Martin's Push Not the River, about a Polish countess during the Napoleonic era.

Poland has an interesting history - I've encountered bits and pieces of it while researching the history of other areas (nothing in history exists apart from everything else in history, it seems) - which does seem to be underrepresented in historical fiction.[/quote]

I read the two Conroyd Martin books and enjoyed them, although I'd call them library books as opposed to purchasing. I later got a bit turned off at his ummm....rather heavy handed use of tagging at Amazonto get his book everywhere.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat March 19th, 2011, 4:25 am

Hmmm - that would turn me off, too.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun March 20th, 2011, 5:50 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]James Michener wrote a novel called, appropriately enough, Poland. There are some others, which will turn up if you go to the home page at HistoricalNovels.info and search on "Poland." One that intrigues me, though I haven't read it (or anything else by the author), is James Conroyd Martin's Push Not the River, about a Polish countess during the Napoleonic era.

Poland has an interesting history - I've encountered bits and pieces of it while researching the history of other areas (nothing in history exists apart from everything else in history, it seems) - which does seem to be underrepresented in historical fiction.[/quote]

Michener's "Poland" is great. Michener himself said it was the place he most wanted to write about in the forward.

Henry Sienkiewecz wrote "Knights of the Cross" about the Teutonic knights invasions of Poland. Much better than his more famous "Quo vadis"

Im a bit surprised that there isnt something on Jan Sobieski I and his Hussars who turned back the ottoman turks at the second seige of vienna

It seems most books focus on Poland's WWII history.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sun March 20th, 2011, 7:57 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I read the two Conroyd Martin books and enjoyed them, although I'd call them library books as opposed to purchasing. I later got a bit turned off at his ummm....rather heavy handed use of tagging at Amazonto get his book everywhere.[/quote]

Was that him? He tagged my books as similiar to his, or vice versa.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun March 20th, 2011, 8:02 pm

I just ordered a used copy of Evelyn Anthony's Valentina, about a love affair between a Polish Countess and a French officer during the time of Napoleon's Russian invasion. i'm still waiting for the book to arrive but hope to read soon.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 20th, 2011, 8:45 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]Was that him? He tagged my books as similiar to his, or vice versa.[/quote]

Yes it was, as you can see from the reviewshe's written, as well as from the Wish List.

I know you guys have to do what you have to do, and I understand tagging is important - but I tell you, when I came across his two books recommended from tags on an old VHS video of My Cousin Rachel (filmed in the 1950's), that was just too OTT for me.

Or look at it this way, look how many tags his own book has here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “By Country/Continent”