Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vienna

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Vienna

Postby Margaret » Thu June 25th, 2009, 12:02 am

I just finished reading a novel set in early 20th century Vienna from a small niche publisher, which I wasn't expecting much from but actually enjoyed quite a lot.

The Last Waltz by G.G. Vandagriff is about a woman's search for love. It begins on the eve of World War I and ends with the German takeover (the Anschluss) of Austria in 1938. It's a bit reminiscent of Gone With the Wind in that it sticks to the woman's personal story, but interlaces it so thoroughly with the history of her time and place that the reader ends up learning a lot of history, too. The heroine isn't much like Scarlett O'Hara, though - she has a strong social conscience. I didn't know much about the Austrian experience during that time period and found this novel very interesting.

This is a really good one for readers looking for a moving, well-written love story without explicit sex.

I've reviewed it at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Last-Waltz.html.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu June 25th, 2009, 12:23 am

Hmmm, that sounds interesting. She/He also has a couple of mysteries that the library does have.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Thu June 25th, 2009, 7:35 pm

This was just published in April, so your library may not have received it yet. Also, it's from a relatively small press - you might want to call it to your librarian's attention, in case they don't know about it.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu June 25th, 2009, 7:51 pm

Is it published by the Shadow Mountain in Salt Lake City, a Mormon press? I was in touch with them years ago about reviewing some of their biblical fiction. Just curious because the review doesn't mention any religious content (though not everything they publish can be called inspirational; this may be more of a "gentle read").

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu June 25th, 2009, 9:15 pm

"Margaret" wrote:This was just published in April, so your library may not have received it yet. Also, it's from a relatively small press - you might want to call it to your librarian's attention, in case they don't know about it.

I probably will, but I've put in quite a few purchase requests in the last few weeks and thought I was starting to get a bit greedy :p :confused: :)
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Fri June 26th, 2009, 7:59 am

Posted by Ariadne
Is it published by the Shadow Mountain in Salt Lake City, a Mormon press? I was in touch with them years ago about reviewing some of their biblical fiction. Just curious because the review doesn't mention any religious content (though not everything they publish can be called inspirational; this may be more of a "gentle read").

I noticed that Margaret particularly mentioned in her review that there was no overt sexual content, which is often a characteristic of books in the 'Christian fiction" category. A lot of the modern Christian fiction is pretty indistinguishable from mainline fiction apart from that aspect.
Sounds like a good read.

Return to “By Country/Continent”