Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Irish Historical Fiction

Baylou
Scribbler
Currently reading: The Cottingley Secret by Hazel Gaynor
Interest in HF: I’ve always loved fiction and history, so historical fiction is my happy reading zone. I think the books that cemented hist fic as my favourite were Random Passage and Waiting for Time by Bernice Morgan. I have a special interest in: WWII, Ireland, England, Italy, Canada (especially Newfoundland and Labrador), women’s history/herstory and folklore.
Favourite HF book: Can’t pick one. Recently enjoyed The Good People by Hannah Kent.
Preferred HF: I have a special interest in WWII period, especially relating to women’s history, codebreaking work, Bletchley Park. I tend to most enjoy literary fiction rather than comercial or popular fiction, but read a range.

Re:

Post by Baylou » Tue December 19th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Lauryn wrote:Wow - I think I'm going to search out some of these titles myself :D

Just a question though - Was Rutherford's novel not issued under two titles for differing markets? I was under the impression that Dublin and The Princes of Ireland were the same book, but I could be wrong. TPI is certainly all about Dublin!

I loved Morgan Llewelyn's The Lions of Ireland, about Brian Boru. I have another title, Finn Mac Cool, on Mount TBR, and have read a few more, but they were library books whose titles escape me now :D
I’ve read both of those (different) Rutherford books about Ireland and enjoyed them. They are sort of sequels. Also enjoyed Rutherfords books set in England and Russia.

Baylou
Scribbler
Currently reading: The Cottingley Secret by Hazel Gaynor
Interest in HF: I’ve always loved fiction and history, so historical fiction is my happy reading zone. I think the books that cemented hist fic as my favourite were Random Passage and Waiting for Time by Bernice Morgan. I have a special interest in: WWII, Ireland, England, Italy, Canada (especially Newfoundland and Labrador), women’s history/herstory and folklore.
Favourite HF book: Can’t pick one. Recently enjoyed The Good People by Hannah Kent.
Preferred HF: I have a special interest in WWII period, especially relating to women’s history, codebreaking work, Bletchley Park. I tend to most enjoy literary fiction rather than comercial or popular fiction, but read a range.

Re: Irish Historical Fiction

Post by Baylou » Tue December 19th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Catherine Snow by Nellie P Strowbridge, a Candian author from Newfoundland, starts in Ireland and follows Catherine to Newfoundland, where she ends up on the gallows. Engaging, gritty tale based on a true story. Pegged on the cover as “A story of the last woman hanged in Newfoundland” and told in a ‘did she/didn’t she do the crime’ fashion.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Re: Irish Historical Fiction

Post by Vanessa » Wed December 20th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Sounds good! Quite expensive to buy in the UK at the moment.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “By Country/Continent”