Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Moorish Spain - help!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat January 10th, 2009, 4:49 am

Thanks for setting us straight, MLE. One thing I love about this forum - if I get a little sloppy with my generalizations, someone is sure to follow up with the necessary fine-tuning.

Someone did a study on Wikipedia and found that its accuracy actually beat out one of the best-known encylopedias (I forget which one). I use Wikipedia as a starting point for research and avoid relying on it as a sole source (as I would with any encyclopedia), but for quick and generally reliable answers to basic questions, it really can't be beat. I love it!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat January 10th, 2009, 6:41 pm

I agree. Wikipedia is a wonderful resource, and often articles are amply supplied with references and further information which means you have the option of checking veracity and following up original material. As with any research, though, it doesn't ever pay to rely on only one source, but to see a Wiki article as an excellent starting point.

Jack
Reader

Post by Jack » Wed September 9th, 2009, 7:34 pm

The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour has a large presence in medieval Spain.

Return to “By Country/Continent”