Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cleopatra

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu July 8th, 2010, 3:40 am

Also, one of Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rose mysteries, The Judgment of Caesar, features Cleopatra. This one is not from Cleopatra's point-of-view, and is not an especially sympathetic portrayal of her, which I find refreshing for that very reason. While the Saylor's detective and the mystery he unravels is completely fictional, Saylor is a stickler for doing good research, and I'm inclined to have a lot of faith in the authenticity of his portrayal of the time and place.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu July 8th, 2010, 1:58 pm

I've had Catalina's Riddle on my tbr mountain for a few years now and still have not read it yet but I hear great things about him so will have to bump it up.

Stephanie Dray
Scribbler

Post by Stephanie Dray » Thu July 8th, 2010, 7:18 pm

There is a new biography of Cleopatra coming out by Pulitzer Prize winner, Stacy Schiff. It's also been optioned for a movie. Additionally, Duane Roller has just come out with an excellent biography of Cleopatra which reveals that she may have been more Egyptian than previously thought.

Additionally, a number of John Maddox Roberts' mysteries have guest appearances with Cleopatra, and for that matter, don't forget Michelle Moran's Cleopatra's Daughter.

If you're trending towards the more historical fiction/fantasy side, check out Judith Tarr's Throne of Egypt and Jo Graham has an excellent book entitled Hands of Isis, as told by the handmaiden Charmion.
~Stephanie Dray
Author of Historical Fiction & Fantasy
Newsletter | Twitter | Website

LILY OF THE NILE -- Berkley Books, January 2011SONG OF THE NILE -- Berkley Books, Oct 2011
DAUGHTERS OF THE NILE -- Berkley Books, Dec 2013

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sat August 14th, 2010, 1:57 am

[quote=""Stephanie Dray""]There is a new biography of Cleopatra coming out by Pulitzer Prize winner, Stacy Schiff. It's also been optioned for a movie. Additionally, Duane Roller has just come out with an excellent biography of Cleopatra which reveals that she may have been more Egyptian than previously thought.

Additionally, a number of John Maddox Roberts' mysteries have guest appearances with Cleopatra, and for that matter, don't forget Michelle Moran's Cleopatra's Daughter.

If you're trending towards the more historical fiction/fantasy side, check out Judith Tarr's Throne of Egypt and Jo Graham has an excellent book entitled Hands of Isis, as told by the handmaiden Charmion.[/quote]

I just read Hand of Isis a couple of weeks ago. I have to agree, it's fantastic.

Return to “By Country/Continent”