Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Eight by Katherine Neville

LCW
Compulsive Reader

The Eight by Katherine Neville

Post by LCW » Mon October 27th, 2008, 4:33 pm

Has anyone read this novel? I've been reading it for a week now and have only managed to get 1/2 way in. I suppose part of the problem is that I'm not a huge fan of mysteries to begin with but the writing here just seems so inconsistent. There are parts of the novel that are real page turners but then I have to plod through to get through the next parts. I determined to finish this novel and it's not like I don't like the story, I definitely want to find out what's up with this darned Montglane Chess service thingy, but some parts are just really boring! This was one of those novels I was sure I'd love....it's not exactly working out that way!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon October 27th, 2008, 5:49 pm

[quote=""LCW""]Has anyone read this novel? I've been reading it for a week now and have only managed to get 1/2 way in. I suppose part of the problem is that I'm not a huge fan of mysteries to begin with but the writing here just seems so inconsistent. There are parts of the novel that are real page turners but then I have to plod through to get through the next parts. I determined to finish this novel and it's not like I don't like the story, I definitely want to find out what's up with this darned Montglane Chess service thingy, but some parts are just really boring! This was one of those novels I was sure I'd love....it's not exactly working out that way![/quote]

I read it a few years ago and know exactly what you mean, over all I didn't find it bad though but as you say there are parts that are boring. I'd give it 3.5/5. Not great but not too bad either.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat November 1st, 2008, 4:31 pm

I finally finished this darned book! It was just a 3 star to me! OK, good mystery but it just plodded on and on in parts and I found myself skipping way too many pages to give it anything higher!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat November 1st, 2008, 5:36 pm

I loved The Eight and have read it more than once. The first time I read it was in 1993 or 1994 and it was totally unlike anything I'd read before, in regards to the mix of HF with a contemporary thriller. I also loved the characters Cat, Solarin and Lily and their adventures. I thought Neville came up with some great imaginative storytelling, although I did want to skim a few brief parts as well. It's a book I'd recommend to people who like a bit of the mystical with their mystery thrillers.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 6:22 pm

I just picked this book up last week - haven't started it yet. I'll report back with my thoughts on this one....

Return to “French Revolution”