Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Seance By John Harwood

Divia
Bibliomaniac

The Seance By John Harwood

Post by Divia » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 12:13 pm

This was on the Amazon vine list...but I missed it!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thought I'd pass it along anyway
A haunting tale of apparitions, a cursed manor house, and two generations of women determined to discover the truth, by the author of The Ghost Writer Sell the Hall unseen; burn it to the ground and plow the earth with salt, if you will; but never live there . . .” Constance Langton grows up in a household marked by death, her father distant, her mother in perpetual mourning for Constance’s sister, the child she lost.Desperate to coax her mother back to health, Constance takes her to a séance: perhaps she will find comfort from beyond the grave. But the meeting has tragic consequences. Constance is left alone, her only legacy a mysterious bequest that will blight her life.

So begins The Séance, John Harwood’s brilliant second novel, a gripping, dark mystery set in late-Victorian England.

It is a world of apparitions, of disappearances and unnatural phenomena, of betrayal and blackmail and black-hearted villains—and murder. For Constance’s bequest comes in two parts: a house and a mystery. Years before, a family disappeared atWraxford Hall, a decaying mansion in the English countryside with a sinister reputation.Now the Hall belongs to Constance. And she must descend into the darkness at the heart of theWraxford Mystery to find the truth, even at the cost of her life.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 2:51 pm

I read this a while ago and thought it was quite good. Not quite as good as some of those old Victorian ghost stories, but a really good story. And I think The Seance is better than his previous book, The Ghost Writer. It's been out in the UK for a while now. Very definitely worth reading sometime.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 9:36 pm

Cool! :) I have it on hold at the lib.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

love_uk
Reader

Post by love_uk » Sun August 30th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Sounds delightfully spooky! Onto the TBR list it goes! Thanks ...
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun August 30th, 2009, 7:25 pm

I am not big on spooky, but Ghost Writer was discussed by my sci fi/fan group a while back and I have to admit, I loved it! May have to check out Seance as well

Return to “Victorian”