Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Listmania on the Victorian Era

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 24th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Yes, I read the Barforth series back in the day and really enjoyed them. BJ also wrote two very good historicals set in ancient Rome which are hard-to-come-by rnow- "Antonia" and "Daughter of Aphrodite"

Kate Quinn
Scribbler

Post by Kate Quinn » Wed March 24th, 2010, 9:18 pm

Those are good too, but I think she really found her footing in the Victorian period. The Barforth trilogy and the others are better, in my opinion.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed March 24th, 2010, 9:33 pm

I haven't but I may give them a go. :) Being the Victorian freak that I am I'm always looking for new stuff.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Kate Quinn
Scribbler

Post by Kate Quinn » Thu March 25th, 2010, 1:10 pm

Jagger really gets the mentality of the Victorian era - these middle-class wealthy girls who got married young and then wondered just what they were supposed to do next. "Verity" is a great one to start with; a girl who marries her cousin at sixteen and rather slowly builds a relationship with him while handling adultery, children, family troubles, etc.

djunamod

Post by djunamod » Sun December 18th, 2011, 1:30 pm

Thank you for this list. I am new to historical writing and I've read a lot of Victorian novels written during that time (think: Dickens, Eliot, James, and the like :D ), I've been looking for historical fiction set in the Victorian era but written in modern times to see how modern writers handle the historical detail and background. So this is very helpful!

Djuna

Kat
Scribbler

Post by Kat » Wed June 26th, 2013, 10:24 am

[quote=""Divia""]Here is a Listamania list that I created on the Victorian Era

http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Fictio ... title_full[/quote]

I would recommend The Wake of the Dragon by Jaq D. Hawkins and Jack Dawkins by Charlton Daines for any list of Victorian era novels. Both are well-researched and well written. Wake of the Dragon is Steampunk, about airship pirates and the opium trade but it has a lot of humour. Jack Dawkins is the further adventures of the Artful Dodger from Oliver Twist. In both of these books I got a real feel for the Victorian era, even if airships didn't play a part in the actual history.

Return to “Victorian”