Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lark Rise to Candleford

Christina
Reader

Lark Rise to Candleford

Post by Christina » Wed December 24th, 2008, 12:17 am

I tried to read this book many years ago and didn't get it at all. The recent TV production, however, has completely changed my understanding of it and I love it. I'd be really grateful to know from someone who read it, whether the book is as fun as the series...

The Christmas episode the other day was so filled with a combination of 'olde Englande' and the mystical. Do the books capture that?

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Wed December 24th, 2008, 9:53 am

I saw the tv producton here on UKTV, I loved it too! I keep meaning to get the book to see if it was true to the book or not. Likewise Cranford.

I just hope I can get the dvd of it eventually!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed December 24th, 2008, 10:10 am

I have the book on my TBR pile, too, so I would also like to know what it's like. The TV adaptation is lovely.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Wed December 24th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Oh, the book is lovely too - very gentle, and full of little observations of village life, like the old lady who trapped sparrows to eat, and everyone thought "Poor old thing, she must be really struggling to survive" but really 'she did it for the sport'.

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:05 am

Thank you, Eigon :-) . I know to add it to my wish list now :-)

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Sun January 4th, 2009, 11:57 pm

And now the new series has started and it is brilliant!! What a great pick-me-up on an end-of-the-holidays dreary January Sunday :-) .

love_uk
Reader

Post by love_uk » Mon August 31st, 2009, 4:38 am

Who's the author? Is it a single novel or a series? Just watched my 1st episode of the TV version tonight & it was lovely.

Thanks!
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon August 31st, 2009, 9:38 am

Larkrise to Candleford is by Flora Thompson. It's a series or trilogy of books based on the author's childhood, sort of I think!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue September 1st, 2009, 8:50 am

[quote=""love_uk""]Just watched my 1st episode of the TV version tonight & it was lovely.[/quote]

I haven't read the books but I did watch the whole TV series and found it enchanting. A lovely BBC production. Don't know how much of the story was based on the books and how much was made up but I would love them to make another series.

Return to “Victorian”