Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A Place Beyond Courage

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

A Place Beyond Courage

Postby Misfit » Tue November 11th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Good gravy, look at the prices for this used at Amazon US. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Tue November 11th, 2008, 5:33 pm

:eek: :eek: Gosh !! That is something !!
So ... I have a treasure in the house !
Now ... I already knew that somehow, but not in that way ! :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed November 12th, 2008, 11:06 am

"Misfit" wrote:Good gravy, look at the prices for this used at Amazon US. :eek: :eek: :eek:

And it's out of print! I keep saying that if ever the day job goes pear-shaped, I could live on the proceeds of the sale of one book, not thousands! :D

The thing is that with UK hardcovers, unless you are a multi-million seller like Philippa Gregory or Bernard Cornwell, print runs of these editions are only for the library, keen reader and collector market and publishers will produce very conservatively - and I mean very conservatively. In the case of APBC you are looking at 3,750 copies of the hardcover worldwide. These had all sold within 5 months of publication, but they didn't reprint and waited for the paperback. The print run for The Time of Singing is larger - just over 4,000 and they have sold more than three quarters of the stock already - which is why I am saying on my website and on my News blog for those wanting it for Xmas to get it now, because although a reprint is likely this time around, it's not a 100% given and even if there is, if the timing isn't spot on, they may not have any in mid December.
Hardcover copies of The Greatest Knight and The Scarlet Lion are also worth holding onto because they had lower print runs in hardcover than APBC. My hardcover print runs are increasing each time, but only in small increments, and this is the way of the UK market. Paperbacks are obviously different.
Last edited by EC2 on Wed November 12th, 2008, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wrong word
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed November 12th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Interesting stuff. Wish now I'd ordered the hardcover for TGK when I ordered TSL. Had no idea I was making an investment in the future :) :p

amyb
Reader

Postby amyb » Wed November 12th, 2008, 2:51 pm

Holy cow - that's a lot of mula!!!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed November 12th, 2008, 4:24 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Interesting stuff. Wish now I'd ordered the hardcover for TGK when I ordered TSL. Had no idea I was making an investment in the future :) :p

There you are you see, I'm a much better investment than Philippa Gregory :D :D :p LOL!
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed November 12th, 2008, 4:50 pm

"EC2" wrote:There you are you see, I'm a much better investment than Philippa Gregory :D :D :p LOL!

:) :) No doubt about that. I see the Leoparard Unleashed has doubled in price, even at the ridiculous price I paid for it several years ago. Maybe I should sell it before the new one comes out and the price drops?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed November 12th, 2008, 4:59 pm

"Misfit" wrote: :) :)No doubt about that. I see the Leoparard Unleashed has doubled in price, even at the ridiculous price I paid for it several years ago. Maybe I should sell it before the new one comes out and the price drops?

I guess a rare edition is always a rare edition so it might hold its price because of that. The Leopard Unleashed is very, very rare because of the downturn in historical fiction in the mid 90's. That meant very small print runs and then Signet went down the pan and pulped nearly all the paperbacks. First edition hardcovers and paperbacks are rare enough to warrant a hefty price tag.
Les proz e les vassals

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Fri March 20th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Just finished, and am quite satisfied. The history was as always well researched. It was a rather a nice summary of "When Christ and his Saints Slept; while Penman's excellent book at times got tangled in so much happening, this one was able to sort out pieces that helped me pick out what was important. There was just enough romance and passion, and battles, for me to tolerate, in fact even enjoy!

I esp liked how the famous anvil and hammers quote was handled, and the imagining of how John really would have felt (and answered the question I always wondered: what would his wife have said to that?)

I loved the characters - tho I have to admit that like her Wm Marshall books, I thought John Marshall almosttoo perfect, his Sybilla as well. And Aline just didn't seem real, but then I can't imagine anyone being as fearful as her. But that being said, there wasn't a moment in this book that didn't hold true, and I loved spending some time in that time and place.

Question: what happened to John and Aline's older sons? I don't remember them in the Wm Marshall books (its likely you did have them in Scarlet Lion, but its been a few months since I read it and my memory is not what it used to be!)

Oh, the volume I got came from Book Depository, picked up for $11 + shipping
Last edited by Ash on Fri March 20th, 2009, 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George & Force of Nature by Jane Harper
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri March 20th, 2009, 8:40 pm

I don't think John's perfect, especially in the way in which he put Aline aside to marry Sybille, I think it would make Henry VIII envious so he was pretty ruthless; having said that, I also found Aline slightly unbelievable (and irritating!) but bearing in mind that there are people in some cultures that even today keep women very much in the dark as to worldly matters then I imagine it's highly likely that she would have been that naive and of course she was very religious.

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”