Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New website !

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Akashic Records

Postby Margaret » Mon October 20th, 2008, 8:58 pm

The information you've included about the Akashic records fascinates me. I used to imagine this as a book somewhere in an alternate universe, a concept which made me quite skeptical. The explanation about events becoming imprinted upon the ether makes a lot more sense to me. (Weird, maybe, but true.) I've done some experimenting with past-life regressions myself, and find it extremely interesting. Alison's story about the "brown bag" being whirled above your head made me laugh!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Mon October 20th, 2008, 9:05 pm

I've read about the Akashic Record before, but always shied away because I had a bad experience years ago with the pyschic world. But I'd never thought of it as a means to "discover" aspects of our historical characters. Of course, these people did live, so they left imprints . . .

Though I have to admit, while it sounds a bit bizarre, I'm definitely intrigued. Do you go into these readings with specific questions? I'd love to do it for a character I'm currently researching.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Mon October 20th, 2008, 9:16 pm

"Margaret" wrote:The information you've included about the Akashic records fascinates me. I used to imagine this as a book somewhere in an alternate universe, a concept which made me quite skeptical. The explanation about events becoming imprinted upon the ether makes a lot more sense to me. (Weird, maybe, but true.) I've done some experimenting with past-life regressions myself, and find it extremely interesting. Alison's story about the "brown bag" being whirled above your head made me laugh!

Alison kind of ummmed and aaahed about what to call what she does and she settled for the Akashic Records as that seemed the best shorthand, but I can see that the notion of some enormous book somewhere (or set of books like Death's library in the Terry Pratchett novels) might seem extremely far fetched! I suppose people try and explain by analogy what seems to us inexplicable. I don't understand it, but I know it works; I've seen the results and I know it's real. Alison understands it a bit better than me as she's the one who can do it and who has studied it a bit more, but it's still way bigger than our understanding.
Yes, it was funny re the brown bag. The fact that she thought this hawking lure was a way of drying lettuce demonstrates that she's not particularly au fait with the Middle Ages!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Postby Margaret » Mon October 20th, 2008, 9:46 pm

The fact that she thought this hawking lure was a way of drying lettuce demonstrates that she's not particularly au fait with the Middle Ages!

Which makes her skills all the more convincing.

CW, I'm really curious now about your bad experience.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Mon October 20th, 2008, 10:12 pm

"cw gortner" wrote:Though I have to admit, while it sounds a bit bizarre, I'm definitely intrigued. Do you go into these readings with specific questions? I'd love to do it for a character I'm currently researching.

It DOES sound bizarre I agree, but when you think about it, no more bizarre than many beliefs in this world. Yes, I do go in with specific questions. She never knows what they are, I just bring them along to the session. I need to give her a name and an event. The more precise I can be, the better it is. But I might say for example, 'Go to William Marshal when he first met Eleanor of Aquitaine.' She will be able to access that moment. We won't know the date or the place. Sometimes we can fine-tune by question and answer in that case but it's not that precise. Or I can say 'Go to the tower of Rouen in April 1203 and find Arthur of Brittany.' Then she will go to him and find out what's going on with him. Then she can fine tune by rolling forward or back in time. As long as she has the co-ordinates (a bit like a Google search) she can find stuff out and report back. Occasionally we get moments that don't make sense, but they are rare and usually when Alison is over-tired or stressed about something and her abilities are at a low ebb.
It was fascinating this year when we went to Old Sarum together, where Eleanor of Aquitaine was imprisoned for 16 years. I got out of the car and was all bright eyed and bushy-tailed and ready to go in and Alison just sat in the car looking at the mound. 'I feel as if I want to cry and I want to pray,' she said. 'I'm not sure I can go in.' So I left her a while and had a look round on my own. After a while she was able to join me. Then she started looking at the English Heritage story boards and saying stuff like 'That roof is wrong; it shouldn't be like that...and why is that there? She took some notes on her digital recorder while tuned in to Eleanor, but I haven't listened to them yet.
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Mon October 20th, 2008, 10:20 pm

"EC2" wrote:It Then she started looking at the English Heritage story boards and saying stuff like 'That roof is wrong; it shouldn't be like that...and why is that there? She took some notes on her digital recorder while tuned in to Eleanor, but I haven't listened to them yet.

That is so cool. I'm very interested. Would she consider a phone session or accessing stuff for me at some point?

THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Mon October 20th, 2008, 10:21 pm

"Margaret" wrote: CW, I'm really curious now about your bad experience.

Yeah, it wasn't a good experience. I can't really talk about it, not because I'm traumatized, but because things were said that I don't even want to write down. I'm somewhat superstitious; it's the Spanish blood in me.

Suffice to say, none of what was foretold came to pass and now I'm mostly over it. Looking back, I think the psychic took advantage of me when I was in a really vulnerable state so I'd make repeat visits. Still, I never saw another psychic again and to this day if someone wants to read my Tarot or palm or anything like that, I go cold. I just don't want to be "read" or know anything about my future. I had done some past life work, before the bad experience, and that was cool. I didn't wholly believe it, but I enjoyed the process and some of what was "discovered" seemed quite in tune with who I am.

That said, I have an uneasy combination of the highly skeptical with the highly spiritual. I also tend toward a strong pagan influence in my own personal beliefs, and one of my close friends is a practicing Wiccan (white witch). I love the thought of magic, animal totems and the realm of energy, so my bad experience remains at odds with the rest of me.

Maybe I was supposed to go through it so I could discover my boundries or something like that. Who knows?

THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Postby Margaret » Wed October 22nd, 2008, 1:41 am

Hmmm. Reminds me of the time a friend and I went to see a gypsy fortune-teller many years ago. She wanted me to pay her more money for a charm that would attract a man into my life. At the time, it actually was not what I wanted, which she would have known if she had actually been psychic. It was a disappointing experience, but since I only paid for the initial reading, not especially horrible.

To some extent, I use astrology as a predictive tool, but I believe very strongly in free will. It seems especially irreponsible to predict unpleasant events. In astrology, planetary transits do seem to be associated with particular types of energies (for example, Mercury with communications), but these can manifest in very different ways depending on how a person handles them.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Wed October 22nd, 2008, 3:05 am

I love astrology; I had my chart done about twenty years ago and it was a very insightful experience. Haven't done it since then but I still have the chart:
I'm apparently a double Leo :p

THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed October 22nd, 2008, 8:26 am

This kind of stuff is where I definitely feel my Conservative Christian upbringing coming in! Whilst I don't disbelieve a lot of this stuff, I have never allowed myself to have palms, tarots, auras etc done, or my astrology chart, or anything like that at all! I have really strong recollections of being warned about not opening yourself up to these kind of influences.

Funnily enough, I don't have issue ignoring many of the other edicts that were also drummed into us! Just this one.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”