Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New website !

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed October 22nd, 2008, 1:19 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]I love astrology; I had my chart done about twenty years ago and it was a very insightful experience. Haven't done it since then but I still have the chart:
I'm apparently a double Leo :p [/quote]

My chart centering on Sagittarious as my Sun sign and with Leo rising just fascinates me because it closely describes me. I may not have thought so twenty odd years ago in my mid-20's, but the older and more life experienced I become, the more the stars and planets seem to contain infinite information that has particular meaning. I don't read mass published horoscopes and don't look at all to divining future events. I'd much rather be able to read past happenings and use the knowledge to live the future.

I always pay attention to parts of HF when astrologers are consulted by rulers and other leading characters. The belief was immensely strong until how long ago? Of course, the fakes and charletans probably ran the practice into the ground.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed October 22nd, 2008, 5:41 pm

Wow - beautiful site!!!!!! Congratulations! I know how much effort must have gone into it. It looks great.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 1:35 am

Some of the 17th century and earlier astrologers used to predict death dates, apparently with frightening accuracy in many cases. That made people feel pretty queasy about astrology, the authorities discouraged it, and it went out of vogue. Sometime around the late 19th century or early 20th, psychological astrology came into vogue, leading to a revival. Today, the vast majority of astrologers will have absolutely nothing to do with predicting death dates, and in fact don't have the skills to do it anyway.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 5:32 am

I explore some of the 16th century's fascination with astrology in my next novel about Catherine de Medici. Catherine kept a personal astrologer named Ruggieri at her Chateau of Chaumont and relied on him to assist her in predicting key events. She also, of course, patronized and protected Nostradamus, who dedicated some of his Prophesies to her, and predicted the death of her husband Henri II in a tournament, as well as her long regency. Toward the end of his life, Nostradamus gave Catherine a chart depicting the next ten years of her life; the chart has been long lost but apparently he foresaw the Massacre of St Bartholomew - a tragic event that Catherine herself precipitated unwittingly and which resulted in the historical blackening of her name.

I found her interest in astrology and the occult very interesting aspects of her character, seeing as she was otherwise very down-to-earth and practical.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 10:07 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]I e
I found her interest in astrology and the occult very interesting aspects of her character, seeing as she was otherwise very down-to-earth and practical.[/quote]

Wouldn't astrology just have been part of that down to earth and practical back then CW? i.e. another tool to be used? I'm not saying I know, I'm just asking.

Everyone already probably thinks I'm half nuts because of using psychic input in my novels, but I have an astrology story too. A very good friend is a professional astrologer as part of her CV. I got Alison to see if she could find William Marshal's birth date. She got April 23 1146. I then asked astrologer friend if she would cast William's horoscope via this info. This was an exercise in skeptical curiosity. I asked for a personality chart, not an events chart because I already knew the latter and I was more curious what she'd have to say about him as a person.
If you imagine William Marshal's personality as a tick list, then what came back, ticked every single box on that list. It was an identical description of what we know of the man from history and I was slightly flabbergasted. Definitely an interesting exercise.
Astrology friend's fiction career has now taken off very well indeed and the astrology side of her career is now on a back burner, so I haven't asked her anything since. I'm also not that bothered to do so, but I'm glad I did for William M.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 2:07 pm

[quote=""EC2""] If you imagine William Marshal's personality as a tick list, then what came back, ticked every single box on that list. It was an identical description of what we know of the man from history and I was slightly flabbergasted. Definitely an interesting exercise. [/quote]

The bits of personality and character description I interpreted from my natal chart is fairly meaningful and makes real sense to me, almost as if a list was made as well. It is a very interesting excerise when you can apply the results that way. I haven't had a professional do any chart for me, so I don't feel 'swayed' by anyone else's interpretation of my personality; rather I went seeking info for my own interest. Neat stuff.

I'm glad Wm Marshal's 'results' worked so well for you. I imagine you were blown away!

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 2:17 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]I explore some of the 16th century's fascination with astrology in my next novel about Catherine de Medici. Catherine kept a personal astrologer named Ruggieri at her Chateau of Chaumont and relied on him to assist her in predicting key events.

I found her interest in astrology and the occult very interesting aspects of her character, seeing as she was otherwise very down-to-earth and practical.[/quote]

I didn't realize C de M was so influenced by astrology until I read Judith M Riley's The Master of All Desires. She was definitely a woman with a 'lot on her plate' to use a modern term. Practicality and precise strategic thinking were requirements for her life to a certain degree, I guess. She did end up in defensive positions for parts of her life. But I think she was a humane person, cared about people and helped those that she could.

I look forward to reading about her in your next story, CW.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 9:30 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Wouldn't astrology just have been part of that down to earth and practical back then CW? i.e. another tool to be used? I'm not saying I know, I'm just asking.[/quote]

You're right! Of course, it was. I realized that about three hours after I posted, while I was brushing my teeth: Hey, for Catherine, consulting her astrologer was being practical. Sort of the way we check the weather report.

I don't think you're nuts for using psychic input in your work; on the contrary, I find it very interesting. If it can help fill some gaps and better inform the writing, I'm all for it!
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 9:36 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]I She did end up in defensive positions for parts of her life. But I think she was a humane person, cared about people and helped those that she could..[/quote]

This is so great to hear! And reassuring to me that the book might appeal when it's released! So many people to whom I've mentioned Catherine frown and say, "Wasn't she that evil queen who killed thousands of Protestants and did witchcraft?" Her reputation is far worse than reality; she did, unfortunately, make some terrible mistakes but I also found during my research that she had a tireless love for her children and for France; unusual pragmatism and a sense of religious tolerance for her era; and a wry sense of humor, coupled with extreme loyalty to her friends.

She was, indeed, humane - far more so at moments than those around her. But of course lurid legends live on.
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Fri October 24th, 2008, 7:43 pm

So, CW, what is your take on Nostradamus? Catherine must have had unlimited trust in him after he predicted Henri's death with such accuracy. And at the time people did not make any distinction between astronomy and astrology, so astronomy was deemed very scientific and serious.

EC2, I find your experience with Akashic records fascinating. I believe many writers, esp. of historical fiction, have similar contacts with their characters.

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”