Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Summer Queen

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue December 6th, 2011, 6:35 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I've got to get it written and get it right re the research - and do all the online stuff and still have some sort of home life, so it is 1213 for the book. I've to have it handed in by next September, which is already way too close!
Some readers love to see previews, some don't. For those that love it, I've put the first chapter up there. For those that don't - well they don't have to look. Simples. :) [/quote]

1213?! You mean we have to go to the past to read the book?! ;)

Yup, about it being simple about not reading it if you don't like previews :)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 6th, 2011, 7:11 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]1213?! You mean we have to go to the past to read the book?! ;)

Yup, about it being simple about not reading it if you don't like previews :)

SM[/quote]

Lol! Good catch. It's going to be a long wait, but I'd rather wait for a great book than more sloppy hash like we get from you-know-who.

I loved the first chapter and I really don't think it gives much away. Just leaves me wanting more though.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue December 6th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Well I was hoping it was 2012, but alas, disappointing to hear its 1213. I guess I missed the boat :D .

I have been following the FB posts regularly which just leaves me wanting more!
Brenna

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat February 11th, 2012, 4:51 pm

ok so I dont want to tease myself by reading the preview chapter available, is this going to be one of the books I heard about that is on Eleanor?

I've been really busy with work this past year so not on the site regularly and just wondering since I've been out of the loop.... as most of us know a Chadwick novel is something to cherished and anticipated like christmas morning for childern.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue July 8th, 2014, 1:52 pm

So as promised, I reserved my thoughts and review until I read the Author's Note. I can't be the only person that has ever experienced this and so, please, help me out here!

Here is the problem one runs into when you read more than one book by different authors on the same subject-the vision and idea you have of a character from the first book you read (if written well) sticks. You either love or dislike the character, but either way, you have a very vivid and real concept of what they look like, how they act, and what they would or would not do. This grows if you continue to read about said character in a series of books by the same author. Then, another beloved author writes about the same character and although not vastly different, tries to shed a new light on him or her which contradicts the one you have built in your head.

How do you react? Me? I do not react well which made reading The Summer Queen very difficult for me (except for the last 1/4 of the book where Alienor is with Henry). I'm not sure I can "buy in" to EC's description of her with the idea I had of Eleanor from SKP's books. Granted, the Eleanor I have in my mind is the older, more wise, already jaded one by marriage and therefore this new, younger version leaves little to be desired. The somewhat "woody" (description I found in another review and it just seems to fit) writing in the beginning of the novel didn't help things nor did the "added" and descriptive sex scenes. It was especially upsetting when

All of that being said, I am a great admirer of EC and quite enjoyed the by-play between her Alienor and Henry and will continue to pine for the next two books in the series (which I will have to wait much longer for as not only do I have to wait for the books to hit the states, I have to wait an additional year for them to be paperback). The other part of the book that I did enjoy was the insight EC provided into Alienor's first marriage, her relationship with her family members, and the experience of her first crusade!

Anyone else struggle with the same problem-either with this book or others?
Brenna

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue July 8th, 2014, 2:20 pm

I will be reading The Summer Queen soon, and I have the same concern. While Sharon was signing my book at a book signing earlier this year, we got into a conversation and The Summer Queen came up. Sharon loves Elizabeth Chadwick's books and has always mentioned her when she speaks every time I have seen her, but she said she won't read The Summer Queen because she sees Eleanor the way she wrote her. I am hoping I can go into The Summer Queen with an open mind and I think I can because I so respect EC's work. That being said, of course, whenever I visualize Eleanor, it's Katharine Hepburn I see!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat August 23rd, 2014, 4:38 pm

Well, I loved The Summer Queen. Elizabeth Chadwick's writing is always a joy to read and meeting the young Alienor was quite an experience.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat August 23rd, 2014, 10:52 pm

It's out in paperback now, right?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun August 24th, 2014, 1:39 am

[quote=""Nefret""]It's out in paperback now, right?[/quote]

I think so, but I read it on my Kindle.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun August 24th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Yes, it's available in paperback and e-format. :) I've just this morning posts a bit about writing it onto the History Girls blog. http://the-history-girls.blogspot.co.uk ... ar-by.html
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”