Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Conquest *spoilers*

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun September 14th, 2008, 4:50 am

[quote=""EC2""] :o :
I spent much of my childhood pretending to be the Lone Ranger (or Silver!) so I guess I'm wired towards enjoying writing male protagonists.
[/quote]

That's so funny! That was my Dad's favorite childhood hero so he passed it on to us kids. We did a lot of horseriding as a family and when we were very young every horse was named Tonto or Silver...at least for the time we were riding! What a nice visit to Memory Lane! :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

TLee
Reader

Where Should I Start

Post by TLee » Tue September 16th, 2008, 10:28 pm

I am new to this forum and am enjoying it so much. I am a huge Historical Fiction fan and have read many, many of the books discussed here but I have never read any Elizabeth Chadwick. I am intrigued with some of the discussions here about her books. Where should I start? Do I need to read them in order? What book would you recommend I read first?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 16th, 2008, 10:54 pm

Welcome TLee. Where to start? First and foremost there are two Elizabeth Chadwicks. One is from the US and writes romance novels. You can pretty much figure out who is who by the title and cover. The ones that I feel need to be read in order are The Greatest Knight and then The Scarlet Lion and also her Ravenstow Trilogy - The Wild Hunt, The Running Vixen and The Leopard Unleashed. The Ravenstow trilogy are the first three written and while very good aren't as good as the newer stuff, although they are being rewritten and republished.

Some have related characters and families, i.e. Shadows & Strongholds/Lords of the White Castle and The Winter Mantle/Falcons of Montabard but they are stand alones -- you're not going to miss anything but reading them out of order.

They are getting hard to find in the US (even used) and a bit spendy. They can be ordered from the UK and Canada. The Book Depository has free shipping or some books stores in Canada do sell them. I've seen them listed on Abebooks as well, they have US sellers who import them and then while you pay shipping you don't pay the credit card exchange fees and exchange rate.

Here's a list of her books that might help you out.

TLee
Reader

Post by TLee » Fri September 19th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Misfit - Thanks so much for the info and your list. They really helped alot. Our library system still has most of the books except for The Greatest Knight and The Scarlet Lion. I think I will start with The Wild Hunt and then go from there.

4ever Queen
Reader

Post by 4ever Queen » Fri September 18th, 2009, 10:13 pm

[quote=""EC2""] :o :
Thanks folks.
I know a lot of authors who sit sobbing when they have to bid farewell to a character or write an emotional scene but I must admit I tend to feel more like a chef preparing a gourmet meal in the kitchen, with one eye through the round window on the customers in the dining room. The pleasure's in the crafting. (no emoticon for evil grin!)[/quote]

Dear Elizabeth, you had me laughing with your view of yourself as a Chef :D preparing a gourmet meal for all us who enjoy your cooking! I've never heard anything like it before, I love it! :p
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”