Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

To Defy a King

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Sat August 14th, 2010, 7:00 pm

I just wanted to say that I'm in the middle of To Defy a Kingand am thoroughly enjoying it! I've pre-ordered your next book, and have ordered others from the library! I'm so glad to have "discovered" you on this website!!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat August 14th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Berengaria - thank you very much. Glad you're enjoying To Defy A King.
I do hang out on this site a lot, but as a reader and discusser of all things historical. :) I'm always happy to answer questions though.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Thu December 16th, 2010, 10:21 am

I bought this for my sister to give me for Christmas / birthday, and I've had to wrap it up so I don't read it before then! It was so tempting to "just read the first bit", but I know if I'd done that I wouldn't have stopped til I got to the end of the book.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Thu December 16th, 2010, 3:50 pm

What would be wrong with that? :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu December 16th, 2010, 4:57 pm

[quote=""Sharz""]What would be wrong with that? :) [/quote]

Really, she'd never know would she? ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri December 17th, 2010, 12:12 am

I am doing the happy dance here because it has just been selected (by a reader panel) as a longlistee for the UK's RNA Romantic Novel of the Year 2011.
We hear who the shortlistees are in February. Previous winners include Philippa Gregory (Other Boleyn Girl) and Susan Kay (Legacy). I' ve been along this road before, so I'm just chilling out for the journey, but still, I can't say I'm not pleased - natch. There are one or two historicals on the list. I've got Sally Zigmond's Hope Against Hope on my TBR pile. Here's a link to the longlist.
http://www.romanticnovelistsassociation ... _long_list
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri December 17th, 2010, 1:10 am

That is so cool - congratulations!!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri December 17th, 2010, 1:54 am

Congratulations, EC! I must get this off Mt. TBR and read it. But the truth is, when I'm trying to keep focused on writing ficiton, I don't dare read writers like you who really suck me into the storyworld. I have to wait for an 'editing break' or I get derailed.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri December 17th, 2010, 4:55 am

Congratulations! I have To Defy a King on my Christmas list. Currently I am reading The Love Knot. Thanks for being awesome.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Fri December 17th, 2010, 8:20 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Really, she'd never know would she? ;) [/quote]

No you're right she wouldn't! :D But I'm keeping fingers crossed for nice sunny weather between Christmas & New Years - I've got the week off work - and I'm planiing on sitting in my garden, listening to the radio & reading the books I've been "saving" for the last month or so. And Defy a King is on the top.

Congratulations on making the longlist, EC. Will cross fingers & toes (makes walking a challenge :) ) in Feb for making the short-list too.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”