Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

To Defy a King

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 13th, 2011, 9:10 pm

I think William Longespee was complex and mixed up (who wouldn't be growing up with that lot!) but I also think he had some admirable traits. He lived his life as an adventure and I think there's a wonderful boys' own novel about him just waiting to be written. I wouldn't do it because I've already covered his story in a lot of detail in my 2 Bigod novels, so essentiallty I would be walking the same ground. but what a life he led. I don't think he was bad and I don't even dislike him for the mean and snooty stuff he did in the novel. Those actions had their basis in his insecurity and need to be loved. He got the royal blood and upbringing. His nearest Bigod brother got the legitimacy and the love. It's a tough row to hoe.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Sansa

Post by Sansa » Fri January 21st, 2011, 8:51 pm

Hello, Elizabeth!

I've just devoured TGK and am now halfway through TSL, and all I can say is, My Lady ;) , you are wonderful!

My only question is, what is the forecast for us ebook readers? I'm thrilled TGK, TSL, and FTKF are available, as that's how I bought them, but now I want to read more! All! LOL

I see we can pre-order the paperback of TDaK now, but will it be also out for Kindle etc., soon?

Thank you!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri January 21st, 2011, 9:20 pm

Hi Sansa,

Thanks!
For a long time I didn't have a USA publisher - well I did - St Martins Press, who would only publish in library hardcover and would never bring the books out in paperback. I said goodbye to them and was taken up by Sourcebooks a couple of years ago. They are bringing out the titles at the rate of one every 6 months and each time they do - as far as I know - they are bringing it out on the Kindle too and various e-readers. So To Defy A King should be available on March 1st and Lady of the English should be available on September 1st - or thereabouts. With earlier titles it's problematic because of territorial rights blah de blah. I'm contracted with Sourcebooks as far as Lady of the English, then they will decide whether to keep me on in the USA and if so, what to publish next. I would think that the way the e-book market is growing and expanding, there's no doubt that the books will be available in those formats.

All best
Elizabeth
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sat January 22nd, 2011, 3:47 am

Can't wait to read TDK! I'm in the US so it's not at my local store yet. Thanks for all your hard work and your lovely imagination.

Sansa

Post by Sansa » Sat January 22nd, 2011, 9:02 am

[quote=""EC2""]Hi Sansa,

Thanks!
For a long time I didn't have a USA publisher - well I did - St Martins Press, who would only publish in library hardcover and would never bring the books out in paperback. I said goodbye to them and was taken up by Sourcebooks a couple of years ago. They are bringing out the titles at the rate of one every 6 months and each time they do - as far as I know - they are bringing it out on the Kindle too and various e-readers. So To Defy A King should be available on March 1st and Lady of the English should be available on September 1st - or thereabouts. With earlier titles it's problematic because of territorial rights blah de blah. I'm contracted with Sourcebooks as far as Lady of the English, then they will decide whether to keep me on in the USA and if so, what to publish next. I would think that the way the e-book market is growing and expanding, there's no doubt that the books will be available in those formats.

All best
Elizabeth[/quote]

Thank you! That's great news about To Defy A King - I'll be counting the days to March 1st. I'd like to be able to stretch out the rest of Scarlet Lion and King's Favor through the next 5 weeks, so i won't have such a dead time, but after spending all afternoon and night unable to put down The Scarlet Lion... :o

I'm so sorry to hear about the blah de blahs of getting your previous books digitized. I'll keep crossing my fingers and hitting the request button at Amazon, just in case it helps. I'm dying to read them all!

Thank you again, for your wonderful books and for your reply. :) Now I'm off to read yet another "just one more chapter" before I go to sleep...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 22nd, 2011, 2:07 pm

[quote=""Sansa""]Thank you! That's great news about To Defy A King - I'll be counting the days to March 1st. I'd like to be able to stretch out the rest of Scarlet Lion and King's Favor through the next 5 weeks, so i won't have such a dead time, but after spending all afternoon and night unable to put down The Scarlet Lion... :o

I'm so sorry to hear about the blah de blahs of getting your previous books digitized. I'll keep crossing my fingers and hitting the request button at Amazon, just in case it helps. I'm dying to read them all!

Thank you again, for your wonderful books and for your reply. :) Now I'm off to read yet another "just one more chapter" before I go to sleep...[/quote]

Sansa, most of EC's earlier books can be found in US libraries. If your's doesn't have them in the catolog see if they participate in interlibrary loan.

Oh, and welcome aboard. Glad to see a new face here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Sansa

Post by Sansa » Sat January 22nd, 2011, 7:41 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Sansa, most of EC's earlier books can be found in US libraries. If your's doesn't have them in the catolog see if they participate in interlibrary loan.

Oh, and welcome aboard. Glad to see a new face here.[/quote]

Thanks, Misfit, I'm so glad I found y'all. :) I've been a lover of historical fiction since 6th grade - mostly classics.

Unfortunately, early motherhood reduced my pleasure reading to nil, then a few little brain lesions came along that make both holding open and reading small print in paper books more frustrating than enjoyable. :o So the kindle and/or my laptop saved my sanity from boredom when I'm laid up, and I'm loving catching up on all the great books and authors that have come along in recent years!

Is it just me, or are we not seeing more good stuff than we did years ago? EC, SKP, Cornwell, and a few others...

BTW, I also want to thank you personally for all your helpful reviews on Amazon - assuming you're the same Misfit. ;) It's great to find a reviewer whose tastes are so compatible I can find books through following them.
Last edited by Sansa on Sat January 22nd, 2011, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 22nd, 2011, 8:21 pm

Is it just me, or are we not seeing more good stuff than we did years ago? EC, SKP, Cornwell, and a few others...
That's what I'm seeing as well, which is why I've been exploring the older OOP's.
BTW, I also want to thank you personally for all your helpful reviews on Amazon - assuming you're the same Misfit. It's great to find a reviewer whose tastes are so compatible I can find books through following them.
:o :o :o

Yep, that's me and thank you. Glad you found us, and pop on over to Goodreads if you have time. We have a lot of fun there as well.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

sharon
Reader

To Defy a King

Post by sharon » Wed March 9th, 2011, 2:02 pm

I just wanted to let you all know that Elizabeth's To Defy a King has just won the Best Historical Novel of the Year award from the Romantic Novelists Association in the UK; she is in good company, as past winners include Susan Kay's Legacy. The timing is perfect, too, for To Defy a King has just been published in the US by Sourcebooks; it is already out in the UK, of course.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu March 10th, 2011, 11:21 am

Congrats on your win EC!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”