Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

To Defy a King

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri December 17th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Congratulations EC! I'm another who needs to read 'To Defy a King' at some point, when Mt. TBR shrinks a little :) I wish the weather here was good enough to sit in the garden, I've almost forgotten what the sun looks like and I only got back from a holiday on Monday morning! :p

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri December 17th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Congratulations, EC.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 17th, 2010, 8:20 pm

Well done EC, fingers crossed for the shortlist.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon December 20th, 2010, 3:38 pm

[quote=""ejays17""]I bought this for my sister to give me for Christmas / birthday, and I've had to wrap it up so I don't read it before then! It was so tempting to "just read the first bit", but I know if I'd done that I wouldn't have stopped til I got to the end of the book.[/quote]

That is one of things I love about getting other people books I have on my TBR pile-I read them before I give them! Of course, when they are my best friends and they know I want it and therefore ask if I would like to read it, I have to take it from them for a certain period of time so they don't know I read them beforehand! Tricky I know!
Brenna

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Mon January 10th, 2011, 8:48 am

I'm currently reading this & enjoying it thoroughly - I'm only in Oct 1207, so not very far at all, but I just wanted to post about something that made me laugh & think that nothing much has changed in the last 800 years. :)
Mahelt's irritation boiled up. Why did her father-in-law have to interfere? She wondered if the old Earl had ever known the sweet intensity of courtship and desire. She couldn't imagine it.
(pg 112, or the last page before Framlingham, Sept 1207)

It made me laugh as it seems tp be a common thing - the current generation doesn't think that the previous generation could ever have thought the same way, or experienced the same feelings.

And it's more amusing if you've read the book about "the old Earl" ( ;) ) and his courtship of Ida (The Time of Singing).
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon January 10th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Hee, yeah, I thought the same thing about the Earl and Ida when I read that scene. Actually one of the things I love about HF is the more you read, the more you see people being people over the years. The more things change, the more they really do stay the same (which is also kinda depressing on another level)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue January 11th, 2011, 3:40 pm

I have also come to realise that while some of our essence remains, we often don't stay the same people down the years - one of the things I make a point of with Earl Roger's character in TDAK. I found that he became more set in his ways as I went forward - as much as I'm saying without spoilers.
I had this thought brought home again a couple of weeks back when a relative of my DH's died. The person he was when he left the world at 53, was not the same as the happy go lucky, merry, skinny teenage boy of 17 I first met. The traits were still there, but oh how changed.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Wed January 12th, 2011, 11:05 am

Oh yes, I can see what you mean about Roger chaging, he's definately not the same "nice" man he was before.

Can't rememember whether I posted about William Longespee while I was reading Time for Singing, but I don't like him any more now than I did then! I'm reacting a bit Hugh-like as the hair on the back on my neck stand up when he's around. :)
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed January 12th, 2011, 12:07 pm

[quote=""ejays17""]Oh yes, I can see what you mean about Roger chaging, he's definately not the same "nice" man he was before.

Can't rememember whether I posted about William Longespee while I was reading Time for Singing, but I don't like him any more now than I did then! I'm reacting a bit Hugh-like as the hair on the back on my neck stand up when he's around. :) [/quote]

I really enjoyed the relationship between the two brothers, although I agree about William. What a self-centered, snot (among other things I could call him).

He would make an interesting subject for a novel though. Just sayin' :o

As for Roger, *sniff*
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed January 12th, 2011, 2:12 pm

I'd always liked him in other books I read, and had some empathy for him. He was a spoiled prince, who thought his mom abandoned him. No, that doesn't give him the right to be a self centered jerk. But I got the feeling he was more complex than that.

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”