Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Greatest Knight/The Scarlet Lion

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Thu February 5th, 2009, 9:26 pm

I'm just about to finish THE GREATEST KNIGHT -- figured I'd read something else, then come back to THE SCARLET LION (that's my usual MO -- read something historical, then read something not historical -- though I seldom actually break out of the pattern). Anyway, not going to be able to do that this time -- must continue on immediately. Very enjoyable, EC!!

Lynn

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu February 5th, 2009, 9:58 pm

[quote=""MLS859""]I'm just about to finish THE GREATEST KNIGHT -- figured I'd read something else, then come back to THE SCARLET LION (that's my usual MO -- read something historical, then read something not historical -- though I seldom actually break out of the pattern). Anyway, not going to be able to do that this time -- must continue on immediately. Very enjoyable, EC!!

Lynn[/quote]

Thanks Lynn :D
I guess when you add the pages up of TGK and TSL they're only about as long as one Sharon Kay Penman, so you could tell yourself it's one book. It would have been if my publishers had allowed me to get away with it!!!!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Fri February 6th, 2009, 3:39 pm

I started THE SCARLET LION and it's seamless -- indeed like one book!

But, you know, sometimes those bigger books are so heavy, they make a lot of noise when they hit the floor (because I tend to fall asleep when I'm reading at night!!). And they also hurt when you drop them on your foot! :D

Lynn

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:18 pm

this is horrible considering I'm a huge Chadwick fan, I've read The Greatest Knight two years ago bought The Scarlet Lion a year ago and still I've not read it. So I plan on re-reading The Greatest Knight then Scarlet Lion right after in a few weeks, I loaned a few from library that are demanding my attention at the moment. My husband has red both and cried like a baby so I can't wait!

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Fri March 13th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Yes, I've just finished The Scarlet Lion and was reduced to tears towards the end as well.

What an amazing man William Marshall was.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat March 14th, 2009, 12:25 pm

I'm currently reading Scarlet Lion, is it true that french soldiers blinded Arthur and so forth?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat March 14th, 2009, 12:32 pm

[quote=""nona""]I'm currently reading Scarlet Lion, is it true that french soldiers blinded Arthur and so forth?[/quote]

There's no answer to that one Nona, history doesn't tell us, but I've not gone into the realms of fantasy, only speculation based on Akashic Record reading. It is quite, quite possible. As to John and the deed itself - not only possible, but highly probable, but if you ask what I believe, I think that he had no choice.
Les proz e les vassals

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat March 14th, 2009, 12:38 pm

I understand power and politics but I beleive in fairness as well, two grown men doing that to a boy is just wrong. What I've read of John it doesn't surprise me too much but I never really cared for him, much like Eleanor I liked Richard better.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat March 14th, 2009, 12:54 pm

[quote=""nona""]I understand power and politics but I beleive in fairness as well, two grown men doing that to a boy is just wrong. What I've read of John it doesn't surprise me too much but I never really cared for him, much like Eleanor I liked Richard better.[/quote]

Long ago I used to think 'bad King John' Then I read a couple of revisionist histories and novels and began to think 'Okay, this guy has been much maligned by history.' Then I started researching him in depth for my own novels and thought 'Whoah, this is one scary and not very pleasant person.' I think W. L. Warren sums him up very well. He says that John had 'the mental abilities of a great king, but the inclinations of a petty tyrant.' Since writing The Scarlet Lion I've done more research on John and it's only confirmed my impressions. I know medieval kings did some pretty nasty stuff, but with John it was as much personal as policy.
Les proz e les vassals

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat March 14th, 2009, 1:11 pm

from what I've read he seemed to have the youngest sibling disease in the worst way, meaning as soon as he realized he had power he took it to extreme and used it for personal revenge and that messes with your mind after so long, you become perinoid and the list goes on. And whats up with his sexual, I don't know what you'ld call them but a girl barely hit puberity granted I knew they married very young and consumated when the time was right but John doesn't seem to know how to wait for anything and poor Ysabel, I'ld be scared too.

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”