Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Greatest Knight/The Scarlet Lion

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun September 14th, 2008, 10:06 am

[QUOTE=EC2;4212]Me too! I thought he was going to be interesting to write about - not least because of what happened at Wherwell Abbey and that infamous scene at Newbury. I didn't quite realise what an adventure it was going to be and the places it would take me. (To have someone you're writing about (who died 800 years ago) throwing things at you to gain your attention because he feels you're not quite doing him justice re a particular scene is an extraordinary experience)! I'm going to be blogging nearer publication date about perhaps the most extraordinary experience of all.[/QUOTE]

Can't wait!

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Sun September 14th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Just a quick note of praise for EC. I just wanted to say that I bought a few of her titles for the School Library recently, (although not TGK yet, but I will be getting it), mainly for the older students and the staff. I didn't think the younger pupils would go for them. However, one of our younger girls, (Yr 8) took one out, (Shadows and Strongholds), which is not a thin book by any means. She brought it back a couple of days later, having devoured it, and took out another one. She absolutely loved it. I love to see the students really enjoying their books, and she did, so thanks, Elizabeth. Keep up the good work. :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun September 14th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Thanks Alice. I do get a lot of reader mail from teenagers - although the reader demographic does go across the board and the sexes. Being as I'm heading well into middle age :eek: :eek: it's good to know that the books are appealing to youngsters!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon September 15th, 2008, 2:05 am

ok my husband is literally finishing TGK as I type, he wants to know what book follows TGK or is there another William Marshall book of EC he can read?, I haven't read Scarlet Lion or Place beyond courage and couldn't remember if they followed up the Greatest Knight.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 15th, 2008, 2:24 am

From what I understand, her new book, Beyond Courage is the sequel. Scarlet Lion is about his father

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon September 15th, 2008, 2:33 am

actually I just looked it up and it is the other way around, i just ordered Scarlet Lion for him and can you believe I could only find one in the US for 25 bucks! but worth every penny for him and APBC start at $50. I need another job just to support not just my but our additiction, lol.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 15th, 2008, 4:06 am

Oh believe me, I know. I couldn't find one here for under $30. I ordered one from Canada that would have been $15 but canceled it when I realized it wouldn't get here for 6 weeks or more. Ended up buying one on Ebay from Britain for about the same price. Im really surprised that you can't find decent copies (or any copies) of the book here. Eliz, any ideas why? Were the books never printed in the US?
Last edited by Ash on Mon September 15th, 2008, 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 15th, 2008, 7:10 am

How about the Book Depository? Free postage and packing worldwide (to most places).
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon September 15th, 2008, 9:28 am

[quote=""nona""]ok my husband is literally finishing TGK as I type, he wants to know what book follows TGK or is there another William Marshall book of EC he can read?, I haven't read Scarlet Lion or Place beyond courage and couldn't remember if they followed up the Greatest Knight.[/quote]

Nona - so glad your husband enjoyed TGK! If he'd hated it, it might have stalled his embryo reading career and I'd have had to go and hide!
The Scarlet Lion does follow on from TGK and I think perhaps The Book Depository might have it at a reasonable price. A Place Beyond Courage is out in paperback 16th October and yes, it's a stand alone novel about William's father. It does prequel the other two, but it is also detached from them.
TGK and Lords of the White Castle have both been picked up by a USA publisher to be published in paperback and electronic format next fall - no fixed dates as yet, but the deal has been agreed. If they take off, then they're interested in the rest of the list - so depending how things go, obtaining the books in the USA is going to become easier. I've been in this industry a while now and I take nothing for granted!
I wonder if your husband would like Bernard Cornwell's books? Or some of Sharon Penman's now you've broken the ice? :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Mon September 15th, 2008, 11:52 am

TGK and Lords of the White Castle have both been picked up by a USA publisher to be published in paperback and electronic format next fall

Yipee! (It's about time.) :)

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”