Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Greatest Knight/The Scarlet Lion

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 15th, 2008, 1:50 pm

For those who might be going to Canada and/or have friends or family that travel there you might want to see what's available at the bookstores there. I know when I was in Vancouver BC in 2006 EC's books were readily available on the shelves at Chapters -- except for TGK which was the one I was looking for. They said they could bring it in for will call though. Also abebooks and alibrus is worth checking out. There seem to be some US sellers bringing in the books from the UK. You pay a shipping charge, but then you don't get hit with the exchange rate either.

All I can say is I'm glad I was greedy and bought every EC book I could get my hands on back in 2006. It appears I could make a tidy profit if not for the fact that there's no way in h*** I'd part with them. :) :)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 15th, 2008, 1:50 pm

VAnessa, someone else recommended that site to me and for some reason I never bookmarked it. I have now, thanks!

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon September 15th, 2008, 4:11 pm

Misfit, which site did you preorder Time of Singing from? The only place I can find it the UK Amazon site. Are there any others??
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 15th, 2008, 4:13 pm

I think only Amazon UK and CA have it listed that I've seen, haven't checked the book depository yet.
Last edited by Misfit on Mon September 15th, 2008, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri October 10th, 2008, 6:37 pm

my mother in law who reads nothing cookbooks and those true crime books about sadistic murderers and so forth by authors like Anne Rule is going to read the Greatest Knight and Scarlet Lion. Ronnie talks about them non stop now and has her interested in them so we'll see how she likes 'em. If so EC you have won over two of the most un-likely but true fans.

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Post by eclecticreader10 » Tue October 14th, 2008, 1:04 am

I've always wanted to read her books, but availability in USA is difficult. If I want one I'm going to have to order it. I think I'll try the link for The Book Depository that Vanessa posted. Who has bought from them? are they reputable? The big question is which book do I start with? With so many to choose from it's overwhelming.
Last edited by eclecticreader10 on Tue October 14th, 2008, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue October 14th, 2008, 1:25 am

I buy from Book Depository semi-regularly. They're reputable, and it's amazing how fast the books arrive - within about a week to the USA. I've bought all of EC's non-US releases that way (Time of Singing is still in my basket) as well as other historicals like Margit Sandemo's Ice People series.

When I was in Toronto this past summer, I was seriously tempted by Chapters but didn't end up buying much there. With the free postage, Book Depository was cheaper in most cases.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue October 14th, 2008, 2:00 am

I use them pretty regularly as well and have never had any issues with them.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Tue October 14th, 2008, 2:31 am

I ordered The Time of Singing from the Book Depository and it came within the week in perfectly new condition. I'll definitely order from them in the future when needed. I haven't got The Scarlet Lion, so I'll probably order it from TBD sometime soon.

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Post by eclecticreader10 » Tue October 14th, 2008, 3:06 am

which book should I start with?

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”