Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Greatest Knight/The Scarlet Lion

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Thu March 19th, 2009, 9:11 pm

I finished THE SCARLET LION a few weeks ago -- meant to post before this -- but I have to say that I actually cried at the end. I don't know when I've cried while reading a book -- nothing about the books, I'm just not a reader/crier! But, this one really got to me.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu March 19th, 2009, 9:22 pm

[quote=""MLS859""]I finished THE SCARLET LION a few weeks ago -- meant to post before this -- but I have to say that I actually cried at the end. I don't know when I've cried while reading a book -- nothing about the books, I'm just not a reader/crier! But, this one really got to me.[/quote]

Lynn, I don't know whether I should take a bow or not for making people weep - LOL! I'm in the middle of a library tour at the moment and a reader mentioned to me that she'd howled her sock off over TSL.
Just back from a talk at Shrewsbury Library which dates to the early 15thC in parts. The librarian showed me a leather shoe they'd found while rennovating - belonging to a small Tudor child. That in itself brought a lump to my throat, just the tininess of it!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Fri March 20th, 2009, 3:40 pm

You should take a bow -- I think causing a reader to have emotion -- happy or sad -- is a compliment (at least from me, it is!!) I think the shoe would have gotten to me, too.

Lynn

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon March 23rd, 2009, 12:11 am

*applauds* you've done it yet again EC you've recked havoc on my emotions! That is a compliment for sure, to move someone with words on paper on a man long deceased yet able to achieve things most modern men could not.

wealcere
Reader

Post by wealcere » Sat March 28th, 2009, 2:08 pm

I know I'm a bit behind with this post, but like everyone else here, I loved the TGK and TSL, I found myself getting so angry with King John and found the Marshalls diplomacy amazing and at times, even frustrating. I can see how the young William got so enraged with his father.
Now.............is there a film epic on the horizon? Don't all cringe, I know it would be nowhere near as good as the books, but it would introduce William Marshall to a lot of people who would never have heard of him or his amazing story, especially the younger generation.
Obviously the ideal candidate for the lead role err........me? A bit short maybe, specky and can't do a very good French accent, but I'm handy to get to Pembroke castle. First refusal for the part of Isabel de Clare would have to go to EC.
I would recommend David Crouchs' William Marshall, Knighthood, War and Chivalry, 1147-1219, as in the select bibliography of TSL to found out more about this amazing man.
It is these books that have really sent me on to this site, I needed to be with like minded people and hence came across this site on my quest for medievel fans.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat March 28th, 2009, 4:27 pm

[quote=""wealcere""]I know I'm a bit behind with this post, but like everyone else here, I loved the TGK and TSL, I found myself getting so angry with King John and found the Marshalls diplomacy amazing and at times, even frustrating. I can see how the young William got so enraged with his father.
Now.............is there a film epic on the horizon? Don't all cringe, I know it would be nowhere near as good as the books, but it would introduce William Marshall to a lot of people who would never have heard of him or his amazing story, especially the younger generation.
Obviously the ideal candidate for the lead role err........me? A bit short maybe, specky and can't do a very good French accent, but I'm handy to get to Pembroke castle. First refusal for the part of Isabel de Clare would have to go to EC.
I would recommend David Crouchs' William Marshall, Knighthood, War and Chivalry, 1147-1219, as in the select bibliography of TSL to found out more about this amazing man.
It is these books that have really sent me on to this site, I needed to be with like minded people and hence came across this site on my quest for medievel fans.[/quote]

Thanks Wealcere!
Yes, I don't know how the Marshal did it re keeping his cool, but keep it he did. Whether or not he did a lot of swearing in private is another matter!
I need to do a moviemaker short of TGK's USA publication in September, so I reckon we could star in it with lots of blurred shots and turned backs - LOL!!!
Les proz e les vassals

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat March 28th, 2009, 4:32 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Thanks Wealcere!
Yes, I don't know how the Marshal did it re keeping his cool, but keep it he did. Whether or not he did a lot of swearing in private is another matter!
I need to do a moviemaker short of TGK's USA publication in September, so I reckon we could star in it with lots of blurred shots and turned backs - LOL!!![/quote]

You could always cut off your head! :D :D

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat March 28th, 2009, 4:39 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]You could always cut off your head! :D :D[/quote]

LOL, LOL! That so reminds me actually. I gave a talk at Leominster library last night where they are having a historical fiction promo. To dress up the library to reflect this, they had a shop's dummy dressed up in an early 15thC velvet gown. But no head.... or rather the head was on a chair at the side of the dummy, modeling one of those padded cow-horn wimples!!! I took a photo, so when I transfer from camera to PC, I'll post it.
Les proz e les vassals

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Sat May 30th, 2009, 12:15 pm

I've just finished The Scarlet Lion tonight, and have had to search the house for tissues! :p

There aren't a lot of books which will do that to me (Here Be Dragons by SKP is guaranteed to every time :o ), so I wanted to say thanks for such a beautifully written book about an amazing person.
I also really enjoyed The Greatest Knight as well, but it didn't affect me in the same way - of course, it didn't end with a death scene... ;)
Am looking forward to whichever of the books I start on next - I've got about 6 piled up on my TBR pile at the moment, but I'm also wanting to ration them a bit.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat May 30th, 2009, 4:22 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Ejays17 - thank you! :)
I feel William is still very much around, even if not in the flesh, and he has guest appearances in The Time of singing and the current Work in Progress, so it's not quite farewell yet :) But yes, what a man. I always try and visit him when I go to London. My UK publisher has recently moved offices to the Embankmeht and is now within five minute's walk of the Temple Church, so it's rather convenient!
Les proz e les vassals

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”