Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covers

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue November 24th, 2009, 12:00 pm

Love it. IS IT MAY YET? (six more months of this mantra, I'm pathetic :o )
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Tue November 24th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Wow - I think it's absolutely gorgeous! That will definately turn some heads and I can't wait to get my hands on it - for the cover and the story!!

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue November 24th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Wow! Very original; I love the dark red colors and her reflection. It's stunning. Congratulations!! This ought to attract a lot of attention. It's coming out in May, too, same as my new one. I like that :)
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue November 24th, 2009, 7:17 pm

It's certainly eye-catching, and she definitely looks defiant! It will stand out in the shops for sure.
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue November 24th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Oh, I want the pretty! Is it May yet?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue November 24th, 2009, 8:33 pm

"diamondlil" wrote: Is it May yet?

Think everyone is going to get tired of DL, Tananite and me saying that over and over and over again? ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

Sharz
Reader

Postby Sharz » Tue November 24th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Oooooh, loverly!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue November 24th, 2009, 8:43 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Think everyone is going to get tired of DL, Tananite and me saying that over and over and over again? ;)

Shouldn't think so!

Is it May yet?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue November 24th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Thanks folks! We knew we needed to do something different this time around and my editor was determined. We started off by having detailed cover discussions back in Feb of this year about what we wanted. We had various novel covers spread out before us. Philippa Gregory's Other Queen the UK version, Vanora Bennet's headless turquoise, CW's orange dress, Emma Campion's red tablecloth, Wolf Hall, close up blokey armour historicals. You name it, it was there. Also film + TV posters and film stills - Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth, The Tudors, Lord of the Rings, Tristan and Isolde. Also high-end glossy fashion magazine adverts where they are selling perfumes, or handbags or shoes or clothes. I pointed out that these adverts were selling a product and telling a story. There's nothing passive about them. We needed to get that feel into a novel while still saying 'historical fiction.' And we wanted it to say 'big book.' So we went for 'filmic and sumptuous.' We - or should I say Little Brown, hired a photographer (will have to find out who he is) and hired a dress (actually green originally would you believe it?!) and fashion model Jade Cresswell from the MotModels agency.http://www.motmodel.com/models/detail.asp?model_id=2827 They did a photo shoot and then worked for ages on the cover design. I only saw the prelims about 2 weeks ago. It has actually changed a bit since the one I've put up. There's a bit more colour in the coronet now - hints of red among the dark stones.
Thus far the response from UK booksellers has been of the 'Wow!' variety, so we're keeping our fingers crossed. However, I'm not counting my chickens...never wise to do that in publishing. But I am still doing a bit of a happy dance.
Hope that the book lives up to expectations. (she says, feeling slightly :eek: :eek: :eek :) .
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue November 24th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Very interesting, EC. I'm happy to hear my orange dress helped to inform the deliberations :p

I really like the dramatic "fashion ad" feel; obviously, as it's what I like about my Confessions cover. I think your new cover makes a statement, and these days that is what's needed in our crowded marketplace. I'm sure it'll do splendidly. The sheer richness of it begs a closer look!
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!

THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”