Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covers

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue November 24th, 2009, 10:10 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]Very interesting, EC. I'm happy to hear my orange dress helped to inform the deliberations :p

I really like the dramatic "fashion ad" feel; obviously, as it's what I like about my Confessions cover. I think your new cover makes a statement, and these days that is what's needed in our crowded marketplace. I'm sure it'll do splendidly. The sheer richness of it begs a closer look![/quote]

It was particularly the texture of the flecks of gold on your UK cover C.W. That sort of thing doesn't show up online of course. It's the same with the UK cover of The Other Queen which was why we were looking at that. The background texture doesn't show up online, but in the hand, it's this rich, glistening, damask midnight blue. If you're doing historical, it helps to have that touchy feely aspect too I think. The sensory engagement needs to start even before you crack open the book.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue November 24th, 2009, 10:17 pm

I LOVE this. I love it all, the red, the background, the girl, the reflection. It's so clever how she is wearing the coronet in the reflection. The amount of detail is just right - enough to draw you in, not enough to overload it. I can't think of a cover I've liked better than this, ever.

If you do another blog post would one of the design team be willing to provide a quote? It's always fascinating to hear about a cover from their point of view.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue November 24th, 2009, 10:44 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]I LOVE this. I love it all, the red, the background, the girl, the reflection. It's so clever how she is wearing the coronet in the reflection. The amount of detail is just right - enough to draw you in, not enough to overload it. I can't think of a cover I've liked better than this, ever.

If you do another blog post would one of the design team be willing to provide a quote? It's always fascinating to hear about a cover from their point of view.[/quote]

I've written to my editor mooting the suggestion and I expect the answer will be yes. I'd do a full interview I think. I would think in the interests of PR it might come out nearer publication date. It's the first time I've worked with this particular designer as she's new to Little Brown - she's nice to talk to. I sent her costume picks, detailed descriptions of Mahelt, both her looks and her personality. I also sent her the soundtrack so she could get a feel for her in song. Gawd knows what the poor girl thought (but obviously it worked!)
Les proz e les vassals

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue November 24th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Oh, yes, that is an excellent point: the textural aspects are key. I love that about paperbacks, especially: here in the US at least, they're doing less textural stuff on hardcovers than they used to because of cost. They did a lot of texture on PG's new cover but otherwise I'm not seeing all that much of it. But you still get it in trade and I agree, it makes a difference. It's got an immediate jewel-like quality.

What are they doing texturally on this cover? I can see that ruby-red background spot varnished to a shimmer. Delicious.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed November 25th, 2009, 12:07 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Oh, yes, that is an excellent point: the textural aspects are key. I love that about paperbacks, especially: here in the US at least, they're doing less textural stuff on hardcovers than they used to because of cost. They did a lot of texture on PG's new cover but otherwise I'm not seeing all that much of it. But you still get it in trade and I agree, it makes a difference. It's got an immediate jewel-like quality.

What are they doing texturally on this cover? I can see that ruby-red background spot varnished to a shimmer. Delicious.[/quote]

It would be delicious I agree, but I don't know how far they'll go with that. To have that background appearance however is a start. My editor's on maternity leave at the moment. The holding pattern editor is great, but maternity leave editor is senior ed at the company and this is her (other) baby, so I will probably know more about texturising once she's back in the spring.
Les proz e les vassals

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Wed November 25th, 2009, 12:41 am

does anyone know, I have not checked, if we can pre-order it?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed November 25th, 2009, 10:55 am

You can at Amazon UK, Nona, so I should think you could most other places.
Sourcebooks are going to release it in the USA, but probably around early 2011.
Les proz e les vassals

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Wed November 25th, 2009, 11:39 am

I think I might just pre-order it then, I don't mind if it's from the UK and I don't think I can wait til 2011, too far.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Wed November 25th, 2009, 2:09 pm

I love the cover for the new book EC, it makes you stop and look twice.
As Im sure Im going to love the hm.. 500? pages behind it :D
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Saxon1974
Scribbler

Post by Saxon1974 » Tue March 16th, 2010, 5:58 am

[quote=""EC2""]It's interesting what you say about the older covers. I liked them, but they weren't doing the business re picking up new customers - or rather they were but at too slow a rate. As soon as my publishers went down the Half-head nice dress route, sales rocketed and I mean rocketed. It wasn't that I had suddenly become a tons better author, although one always hopes to improve, it was the packaging, which clearly appealed to the majority. Since those early days which were all really started by The Other Boleyn Girl, the 'headless woman, nice frock' image has proliferated to saturation point. Nowadays in its place, we are seeing full figure, nice frock. Often still with a window somewhere around.
The new cover for To Defy a King, which I am hoping to share soon, once I've got the OK from my UK editor, pays homage to the above criteria in certain ways, but it is totally original too. No one else has a cover like this one at the moment![/quote]

I prefer the older covers that have a historical scene on them as well, but Im a guy who enjoys the historical parts more than the romance parts. I have a hard time buying the new ones since they look like romance books :o

This being said I completely understand that the newer covers are better for sales which is great! A few years ago I dont think I was able to find your books here in the USA in the bookstore so I ordered online. Just the other day I went into the bookstore and saw the The Greatest Knight and I think Lords of the White Castle. They were displayed in a very noticeable way so that was nice to see. I usually buy books online now anyway, but I do very much enjoy a bookstore. (I Just get frustrated when they dont have what I want).

Any chance we could have two covers one for romance and one historical? Kidding....Love your books thanks for writing them.

Cheers

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”