Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Welsh trilogy

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

The Reckoning

Post by Misfit » Thu April 2nd, 2009, 4:54 pm

New cover,

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

rex icelingas
Reader

Post by rex icelingas » Thu April 2nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

Thats Cricceth Castle on the Cover

However It looks like Cricceth after it was further adapted by Edward I rather than how it would in Llewelyn ap Iorweth`s day ;)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 2nd, 2009, 9:30 pm

You got my curiosity up and I went googling. Would love to visit that one.

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 9:22 pm

I dont know, it doesn't look like a Sharon Kay Penman cover to me. Its nice enough though.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sat April 4th, 2009, 12:16 am

There hasn't been an SKP historical fiction novel that I haven't liked! I have not tried her historical mysteries, though.

The Wales Trilogy were the most moving novels that I have ever read (actually brought me to tears in a couple of different places).

After reading these novels, I fell in love with Wales and am trying to plan a trip to visit some of the places in her novels as well as to see as much of the country as possible (I know it is part of Great Britain but seems to be a place of its own). Has anyone been to Wales?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat April 4th, 2009, 12:29 am

[quote=""zsigandr""]

After reading these novels, I fell in love with Wales and am trying to plan a trip to visit some of the places in her novels as well as to see as much of the country as possible (I know it is part of Great Britain but seems to be a place of its own). Has anyone been to Wales?[/quote]

Just a very short trip a few years back to Caerphilly Castle. We switched trains at Cardiff but didn't have a chance to look around the city.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat April 4th, 2009, 1:59 am

[quote=""zsigandr""]

After reading these novels, I fell in love with Wales and am trying to plan a trip to visit some of the places in her novels as well as to see as much of the country as possible (I know it is part of Great Britain but seems to be a place of its own). Has anyone been to Wales?[/quote]

Many many times! :)
I think we have forum members that live in Wales or are close to there. I've often holidayed in North Wales and Anglesey, across the Menai Straits. My brother's in-laws live on Anglesey. I've also been to Pembrokeshire and South Wales. The Welsh language and speakers of such have a greater strength in the North. A lot of the population of South Wales don't speak Welsh. My younger son was at the University of Aberystwyth, so a couple of years ago we were toing and froing across the centre of Wales every few months. Basically get to Shrewsbury. turn left and keep going west until you reach the sea! The scenery is fabulous. It has a tendency to rain quite a lot though :) I've been to most of the castles at some point or another and all have their particular glories. If I had to pick one, it would actually be South Welsh - Manorbier and where Gerald of Wales was born. It's right on the beach and you can actually stay there self catering if you have the money! http://www.forgottenhouses.co.uk/html/h ... rbier.html We didn't; we were just day visitors, but very impressed by the haunting music coming from hidden speakers in some parts of the ruins. It has a beautiful rustic garden too.
South Wales isn't so much on the beaten track for SKP's Welsh trilogy which tends to concentrate more on the north though - but it's all beautiful and Snowdonia is majestic. I've been to the Dolocauthi gold mines too!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sat April 4th, 2009, 2:49 am

My parents are taking my daughter to Wales for her graduation from high school present. I am so jealous! It has been too long since I've been there, and I wasn't writing about Wales at the time so there is so much that I've missed. Check out the Castles of Wales site: http://www.castlewales.com/

You can find out about what to see that SKP might have mentioned in her books--most of the best-preserved castles that a tourist might see were built by Edward I as part of his conquest of Wales after 1282. To find the Wales of the Welsh Princes, you have to venture a bit more off the beaten path.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat April 4th, 2009, 2:58 am

[quote=""zsigandr""]

Several times, for the same reason you want to go! The first trip was planned with the trilogy in mind, and I saw many places listed in the book. We stayed in Conwy for this trip, and found it an easy central point to visit the sites. Later trips took me farther afield, looking at more of Edward's castles, as well as exploring Cardiff, and a trip for all book lovers, Hay on Wye. Its a lovely country, with friendly people, and a grand history. Fo
Last edited by Ash on Sat April 4th, 2009, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun April 5th, 2009, 4:24 am

Will have to read it when I get the third book. Looks most interesting.

Return to “Sharon Penman”